This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

Battery Charger question

are the battery chargers you're selling in your website interchangeable for lead acid and lithium? I'm just wondering because I might upgrade to lithium in a few months and I want to use the same charger instead of buying two chargers.

Lead acid batteries and battery packs require three-stage chargers which have a float mode, and lithium batteries and battery packs require two-stage chargers which do not have a float mode. Due to this, our lead acid battery chargers are not compatible with lithium batteries and our lithium battery chargers are not compatible with lead acid batteries. 

Are lithium battery stable? because I fly my drones and there was one instance where the LiPo battery caught on fire. Scooter Lithium batteries won't do they, right?

LiPo and Lithium-ion batteries are the types of Lithium batteries that are known for catching on fire. LiFePO4 batteries are known to be much safer than LiPo and Lithium-ion. We have read that LiFePO4 batteries can be punctured and will not catch on fire and they are not subject to overheating or catching on fire under normal conditions the way LiPo and Lithium-Ion batteries are. 

Here is a link to an article that goes much more in depth into this subject: https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/lithium-battery-overview.html

wow, kinda scary. For my lead acid battery, I’m currently using a 1.5amp charger. If I go for 3.5 or 5 amps charger, what will that do? Will it charge faster?

Yes, a charger with higher Amp output will charge the battery pack faster. The faster a battery pack is recharged the lower its lifespan will be so fast charging is only recommended to do if necessary. 

what would you recommend for me? my velocifero mad scooter came with a 1.5amp charger.

Which charger is the best size to use depends on the chemistry and capacity of the battery pack. LiFePO4 battery packs can be charged faster than Lead-Acid battery packs so if you are upgrading to LiFePO4 then a more powerful charger could be used. When purchasing the battery pack it should have specifications regarding what size range of chargers is recommended for it. 

No. My question is, which battery charger do you recommend? I have a 48v sealed lead acid battery that came with a 1.5amp charger. See image attached. Can I use a 3amp charger?

The Velocifero Mad electric scooter with lead-acid battery pack has a 48 Volt 12Ah battery pack. A 3 Amp charger can be used with it and the recharge time will be twice as fast as with the original 1.5 Amp charger.

To prolong the life of the battery pack we recommend using the 1.5 Amp charger for overnight charging or for anytime that you have 6-8 hours to recharge the battery pack. And we recommend using a 3 Amp charger when you need to recharge the battery pack in 3-4 hours such as for multiple rides on the same day. 

These recharge times presume that the battery pack is deeply discharged. For a moderately or lightly discharged battery pack the recharge times will be much faster. 

Will the one that you’re selling on your website work for me? It says 1.6amp though? see image attached.

Yes, our 48 Volt 1.6 Amp charger is a suitable replacement for the original 48 Volt 1.5 Amp charger. A 1.6 Amp charger is more commonly used with 12Ah batteries than a 1.5 Amp charger so it is a perfect match for the battery pack. 

Please see two attached images. Can these two chargers be interchangeable to charge the same battery eventhough the Input of one says 120V and the other is 110V? Please let me know.

Yes, those two chargers are both interchangeable and will charge the same battery pack. Some factories mark their chargers with 110V AC input, and others with 115V AC input, and others with 120V AC input. However, battery chargers with any of these input Voltage markings will work with modern 120 Volt AC mains power. 

The input Voltage marking discrepancy occurs because the original American mains power Voltage was 110 Volts AC, which was replaced by 115 Volt AC mains power in the 1930s, and again replaced by 120 Volt AC mains power in the 1980s. So 110 Volt AC and 115 Volt AC are ingrained in peoples minds, although the modern AC mains power Voltage is actually 120 Volts. 

I noticed that the first one lists the Input amp which is 2.0A while the other one didn’t list the amp it just says “Input: 110V 50/60 Hz” Should I be concerned?

Login or Signup to post a comment