1-800-908-8082

8am-5pm Pacific Time Monday-Friday
Start a new topic

TaoTao ATE 501 Batteries draining fast after being replaced.

I replaced the batteries about a month ago and they have been draining fast. I first noticed that my turn signals sound funny when turn the throttle or my headlights are on. At first when the batteries started draining fast I though it was the weather since it is getting colder out. Now they are getting worse and seems to run ok until I hit a hill. When I go up even a small incline they are pretty much done. I have also replaced the wires linking the battery pack together. Thinking that may have been a problem. Any help would be great. Thank you

From your description of the problem it sounds like the battery charger is not recharging the batteries. This could be caused by a faulty battery charger, faulty charger port, or a problem with the wires or connector(s) between the charger port and batteries.

The first thing I would do is plug the battery charger into the wall and see if it has a green light that turns on. If the charger's green light does not turn on when the charger is plugged into the wall then the charger is faulty and will need to be replaced.

If when plugged into the wall the charger's green light does turn on then unplug the charger from the wall, then plug it into the scooter, and then plug t back into the wall again. Now the charger should have a red light on until the batteries are fully charged. If the charger does not have a red light at first when plugged into the scooter and the wall then chances are that there is a problem with the charger port, or possibly but less likely the charger.

I would also check the wires behind the charger port to make sure that they are connected to the wiring harness, controller, or batteries.

Hopefully this will help. Please let us know how it goes.

Well it seems you are right about the batteries not charging fully. It charges for about 2 hours then turns off like fully charged. I changed the wiring harness and wires to the charging port all the way into the main wiring harness. The battery test tested good on each battery and as a whole. The charger, charging port, and at the connections of the port harness all check to 50 or a bit over volts. I am still having the same problem that the batteries are not fully charging. Also thank you for all your help. 

Since the charging system has been gone through and the problem still persists it is possible that one of the batteries might have a bad cell in it.

I recommend to load test the individual batteries to see if one of them is dropping too much Voltage under load. This could be done at home with an automotive battery load tester, or at a local battery store. Some auto parts stores can also load test these type of batteries however it is best to call first and ask if they can.

The battery pack can also be load tested as a whole to see how it performs under load using the procedure on this page: http://electricscooterparts.com/loadtest

Please let us know how it goes.

Login or Signup to post a comment