This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

Razor Ground Force Drifter Upgrade

Hello any advice to extend riding time and make it go faster...just bought 2 of this machine for my twins...thinking of upgrading the battery to 24volt  9ah and 350watt motor with stock throttle and controller...

any help is appreciated.

To extend the ride time and make the Razor Ground Force Drifter go faster you are on the right track but I think you may need batteries larger than 9Ah to extend the ride time. The stock controller is rated for 30 Amps so upgrading to a 350 Watt motor is no problem at all, however the larger motor will drain the batteries faster than the original 250 Watt motor.

Upgrading to 9Ah and 350 Watts will increase the power, but I do not think the ride time will increase with that setup. For increased ride time you may want to look into upgrading the batteries to 10Ah or 12 Ah. The higher the Ah rating the longer the ride time will be.

thanks...so  just to clarify this setup before i place an order...24 volt 10ah or 12ah and 350 watt motor with the stock thumb throttle and speed controller will work?  

The original Razor Ground Force Drifter's 24 Volt 1.5 Amp battery charger will charge batteries up to 15Ah. So you could use any batteries that are 15Ah or lower with the original battery charger. I forgot to mention earlier that we also have 15Ah batteries which are the same dimensions as 12Ah batteries but will provide around 20% more ride time. You could use batteries rated higher than 15Ah, but then you would need a new battery charger with a higher Amp rating than the original one that you have now.

A 24 Volt 350 Watt motor can be used with the original speed controller and throttle. The reason this will work is because Razor uses an oversize 30 Amp speed controller on the Ground Force Drifter that will work with motors rated up to 500 Watts.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any further questions.

do i use 1 15ah battery or 2(24vol)t of the 15ah batteries? i thinking 2 to make 24 volts but how do i make them fit? would i be able to put back the cover? don't want to expose anything.

You will need to use two of the same 15Ah batteries. These batteries are 12 Volts each so you will need to make a 24 Volt battery pack from two 12 Volt batteries.

I have never modified a Ground Force Drifter with a larger battery pack so I do not know if two 15Ah batteries will fit the existing battery location or if the cover will fit over them. My best guess is that they will not fit and a custom bracket may need to be fabricated to hold them, which could be made from steel or wood with a nylon strap to hold the batteries down. I the cover does not fit another cover may need to be re-purposed from a plastic bin or made from steel or wood.

If you do not want to heavily modify the go kart, you may want to consider upgrading to smaller batteries which would fit the existing space and cover. Our battery dimensions are listed on our batteries page to help determine which ones will and won't  fit the existing space.

Here is a video showing a Ground Force go kart that was modified to 36 Volts and 500 Watts.
And here is a video showing how wood can be used to modify, or in this case build, and electric go kart.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

So IF i am using the similiar setup of 500w motor and 12v 15ah batteries, than i can use the stock controller without any issue?  How many max 12v 15 ah battery could i get with this, 24v or 36 or higher?

The original Razor Ground Force Drifter controller is rated at 30 Amps so it can be used with a 500 Watt motor. 12V 15Ah batteries are OK to use with the original controller also. The original controller is rated at 24 volts so to be safe you should use it with a 24 Volt battery pack. If upgrading to a 36 Volt battery pack then a 36 Volt controller should be used instead of the original 24 Volt controller.

You state the original Razor Ground Force Drifter controller is rated at 30 Amps so it can be used with a 500 Watt motor.  However, when I read the specification for the CT-201C6 controller that you sell it states it is current limited to 20 amperes.  The CT-201C6 controller is specified as the controller in the Razor Ground Force Drifter wiring diagrams. Can you explain the discrepancy since we plan to swap out the 250 watt motor for a 500 watt motor and to use the existing controller based upon your statement?

@FDolie

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. The 250 Watt 20 Amp specifications listed for the CT201C6 controller were incorrect. I corrected the specifications to match those of the CT201C6 controller that currently we have in stock and its specifications now read 500 Watt and 30 Amp.

Every CT201C6 controller that I have seen on a Razor scooter, bike, or go cart has a 30A rating on its identification label. However since you are using an existing CT201C6 controller you may want to check the Amp rating on its identification label to confirm that it is 30A controller just to be on the safe side. 

Please let us know how it goes.

I have two questions...

1.) What is the advantage in going from 24 volts to 36 volts?

2.) How many watts is the stock Razor Ground Force Go-Kart Motor?

If the battery pack Voltage is increased from 24 Volts to 36 Volts, and the rest of the electronics are left alone, then the motor will run at a higher speed and with more power which will increase the top speed of the go-kart. The downside of this is that the controller and motor are being used beyond there rated Voltage levels and may not last as long as if used at their original Voltage level. It is safer to upgrade to a 36 Volt controller when increasing the battery pack Voltage to 36 Volts so at least the battery pack and controller are both matching Voltages. Depending on the weight of the rider and terrain the 24 Volt motor may be able to run at 36 Volts indefinitely, or it may eventually be damaged from overheating due to the extra Voltage and load placed upon it. If the 24 Volt motor is damaged it can be replaced with a 36 Volt motor to remedy the situation.

The Razor Ground Force Go-Kart's stock motor is 250 Watts.

Does anyone know what the stock specifications are for a brand new Ground Force Razor?  I'm looking to increase speed and run time, but not sure what motor or batteries I currently have.

The Razor Ground Force and Ground Force Drifter's original battery pack consists of two 12 Volt 7Ah lead-acid batteries. Their original motor is rated at 24 Volts 250 Watts. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Hi, I bought for my son a Razor ground force drifter fury ride-on After reading this forum,I really can't wait to modify it! Can the 500W motor fit nicely as the original 250W? Dimension 7amp=9amp 10amp height is taller so do I need different bracket to secure it? But I would like to 24volts with capacity of >10amp,as long as everything sit within the cover.I would like the battery pack with harness. Anything else need to upgrade?chain,speed controller version#,throttle,fuse,sealed bearings,etc.. If possible,pls provide link to these items so I will not order wrongly. Thank you

Login or Signup to post a comment