This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

Remove kickstart (push to start) safety feature on E100 and E175 Razor electric scooter

Hello,

I was just given an E100 and an E175 Razor scooter. My son is admittedly a little young for it still but I'd like to make it a little easier to ride for him. He's very used to non-powered scooters so he's got the balance part down. I'd like to remove the minimum speed requirement before the throttle engages. What parts would need to be replaced or modified to make it start moving from a stand still? 

I've found one other post on this forum that mentioned replacing the controller. I believe he was trying to remove the kickstart feature and give it a variable speed control though.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

We carry variable speed conversion kits for the razor E100 and E175 electric scooters. I will post links to them below.

Variable speed kit for Razor E100 version 10+, item # KIT-E100:

https://cart.electricscooterparts.com/variable-speed-conversion-kit-for-version-10-razor-e100-and-e125-electric-scooter

Variable speed kit for Razor E100 version 10+ with throttle top speed limiter, item # KIT-E100-SL:

https://cart.electricscooterparts.com/variable-speed-conversion-kit-with-throttle-speed-limiter-for-version-10-razor-e100-and-e125-electric-scooter

Variable speed kit for Razor E175 version 19+, item # KIT-E175:

https://cart.electricscooterparts.com/variable-speed-conversion-kit-for-version-19-razor-e175-electric-scooter

Variable speed kit for Razor E175 version 19+ with throttle top speed limiter, item # KIT-E175-SL:

https://cart.electricscooterparts.com/variable-speed-conversion-kit-with-throttle-speed-limiter-for-version-19-razor-e175-electric-scooter

Hello I'm using the same as SPD–24250B and THR – 35 throttle. I also found the links online http://www.electricscooterparts.com/hookup/SPD-24250B.htm but it's only for a SPD– 24250 and it is missing the power locks for the switch brakelights and indicator has specified in the diagram. Instead it has a reducing connectors and PSA sensor connector that probably don't need to be used. I would really like to figure out how to integrate the switch when using this controller. Please help. Thx you.
image.jpg
(1.8 MB)
IMG0506.JPG
(2.18 MB)
The SPD-24250B controller that you are installing requires the power switch to be wired between the battery pack and controller. The power switch is commonly wired between the red positive wires of the battery pack and controller.

When a power switch is located between the battery pack and controller the switch would need to be in the 'on' position for the battery pack to be recharged, which is not optimal because then the controller would be on during the recharge and would need to be turned off after the battery charger was unplugged from the scooter. It would be better for the charger port to be wired directly to the battery pack so the batteries can be recharged with the power switch in the 'off' position.

The SPD-24250B controller's Speed Reducing connector and PAS Sensor connector are optional connections that do not need to be used for the controller to operate.

Here is a link to wiring directions for the SPF-24250B controller: https://www.electricscooterparts.com/hookup/SPD-24250B.htm

Here is an illustration showing the ideal way to wire the controller to the scooter.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

I have a e200 Do I need to get a bigger controller & throttle than those items u listed ( # SPD-24250B controller and THR-35 throttle) to make it work better?
I have a e200 razor scooter that I took apart & tried adding to an adult trike. Thought I could just use/weld the sprocket to 1 of the wheels that doesn t have the original chain on 1 side of of the trike and just hook up the razor Scottie battery motor to that sprocket in the back of the trike basket. (I understand this is a weak motor and will probably burn the unit out doing this) Problem is when I peddle the bike Im not peddling fast enough to turn on the razor motor. Because the trike wheels are 26inch big so it's not turning the sprocket chain fast enough to kickstart the razor motor on. I'm REALLY Curious is there a way to bypass the minimal speed kickstart? If so do you sell parts or anything I may need to make this "tiny razor battery motor" to just start when I press lever. Like is there anyway I can rig the motor so It can turn on from the handle lever at anytime instead of needing to push start to make motor turn on?? Do you sell anything that can shut that part off n the motor,? If thats even possible? Hope i explained that well enough for you to understand. Lol. I'm desperately trying to get this razor Scooter motor to work on the trike for my 74 year old neighbor (lives on budget-can't afford drivers license) he wants to use to help him peddle to our local grocery store a mile away. Hoping I can do this w/out having to rig it onto the front tire. I'm starting to think this maybe impossible because i havent seen anyone do this. Could NoT stress this enough-->would Be SOO thankful if any of you could help or steer me n the right direction... Any response爛would be greatly appreciated! See pic to help explain what I'm trying to do. Last pic is what I'm really trying to avoid(putting razor motor on front steering wheel of trike)
IMG8979.JPG
(156 KB)
IMG8977.PNG
(4.56 MB)
IMG8976.PNG
(4.4 MB)

I have a e200 razor scooter that I took apart & tried adding to an adult trike. Thought I could just use/weld the sprocket to 1 of the wheels that doesn t have the original chain on 1 side of of the trike and just hook up the razor Scottie battery motor to that sprocket in the back of the trike basket. (I understand this is a weak motor and will probably burn the unit out doing this) Problem is when I peddle the bike Im not peddling fast enough to turn on the razor motor. Because the trike wheels are 26inch big so it's not turning the sprocket chain fast enough to kickstart the razor motor on. I'm REALLY Curious is there a way to bypass the minimal speed kickstart? If so do you sell parts or anything I may need to make this "tiny razor battery motor" to just start when I press lever. Like is there anyway I can rig the motor so It can turn on from the handle lever at anytime instead of needing to push start to make motor turn on?? Do you sell anything that can shut that part off n the motor,? If thats even possible? Hope i explained that well enough for you to understand. Lol. I'm desperately trying to get this razor Scooter motor to work on the trike for my 74 year old neighbor (lives on budget-can't afford drivers license) he wants to use to help him peddle to our local grocery store a mile away. Hoping I can do this w/out having to rig it onto the front tire. I'm starting to think this maybe impossible because i havent seen anyone do this. Could NoT stress this enough-->would Be SOO thankful if any of you could help or steer me n the right direction... Any response would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Laurence, the scooter in your photo is a Razor Launch which is the same as an E100 scooter.

To eliminate the push to start feature of the Razor Launch electric scooter so that it starts from a standstill the controller and throttle would need to be replaced with different parts that do not require for the vehicle to be in motion in order for them to turn on.

Here are the part numbers of our parts that would be good for this conversion:

THR-35 (throttle)
THR-93 (throttle)
SPD-24150 (controller)
SPD-24250 (controller)
SPD-24250B (controller)

Having the motor power the rear wheel with a chain would require a very large custom made 200 tooth 16 inch outside diameter axle sprocket to obtain the correct gear ratio for the motor, so the friction drive system shown in your first photo would be the easiest and least expensive way to use the motor.

With the friction drive method the gear ratio is the exactly same as the scooter originally had with its small wheel. The Razor Launch scooter was designed for a child to ride though so the motor may be a little underpowered for an adult rider but will still provide assistance to pedaling and should power the tricycle without pedaling on flat ground.

First off. Thank U very much for responding. This is an awesome site! Couldn't stress that enough. When or If, lol I successfully complete this bike. I'm gonna be pushing the heck outta this site. It's really cool to see a forum this active with great ideas! So let me ask you this. If I'm on the trike and already peddled at a fast speed and then I turn the motor on would there still be way to much friction on the sprocket that I added (welded) to the back trike axel? Would do the job, Then that's really all my neighbor needs, he'd only have to peddle a few times per trip. If not, is there a specific bigger razor motor that could push this adult trike? (like the razor dirt quad motor 350 watt)? Also if it would help the cause to swap out the 24" rims on the trike to 20" any possibility that could help the sprocket tension? Just curious, I'm really trying figure out if it's even possible to use a razor motor onto the adult trikes sprocket (like I have in those pics)? I see online people are using screwguns like a makita drill and there able to push there bikes. Basically trying to do the poor mans way of getting an electric bike. Without actually spending $400-500 on the real electric trike motor setup.

The unused sprocket on the axle that can be seen in the photo is too small to be used with a standard motor (motor without gear reduction). If a standard motor is ran to that sprocket then the gear ratio would be too low and the motor would lug and not produce enough power, and it would also eventually overheat and burn out due to being lugged.

The solution for using that axle sprocket would be to install a gear motor. We carry gear motors such as our item number MOT-24350G which is shown below. This gear motor has a bicycle chain sprocket on it so can be ran to an axle or wheel that also has a bicycle chain sprocket. Here is what it looks like.

This motor is capable of speeds up to 15 MPH on a bicycle however on a tricycle I would gear it for a lower speed since trikes are heavier than bikes. The unused sprocket in the photo looks like an 8mm chain sprocket and not a bicycle chain sprocket so it may need to be replaced with a bicycle sprocket in order to use this gear motor. I ran a gear ratio calculation using this MOT-24350G motor and a 36 tooth axle sprocket and got a 7.52 MPH top speed. This is fairly slow however the trike would have a lot of torque with this gear ratio and would not need to be pedaled even when going uphill. The top speed could be increased by using a smaller axle sprocket. Here is the calculation.

Changing the rims from 24" to 20" would make the gear ratio lower, but it would still not be low enough to use a motor that does not have gear reduction.

If you have or can find a used Razor Dirt Quad its motor and electronics could be used to power the tricycle. The Dirt Quad motor has a 25 tooth sprocket for 8mm chain on it so if the axle sprocket is for 8mm chain then that would be a match. The axle sprocket would need to have 54 or more teeth though in order for the gear ratio to be low enough.

ESP, According to your comment in order to convert kickstart on e175 all we need to do it replace the controller and throttle. And the parts that work with this specific scooter are # SPD-24250B controller and THR-35 throttle? Thank you in advance

The SPD-24250B controller and THR-35 throttle can be custom installed on Razor E100 series scooters to remove its kick-to-start feature. These are not plug-and-play parts though so they do require custom installation.

Is there a possibility to use existing harness to rewire it with current set up? Relays and etc?
Yes, the existing wiring harness could be modified to install the new controller so an entirely new wiring harness would not need to be made from scratch.
Great, so all I need to purchase is new controller and I'll b to use existing throttle? Or I still need to purchase new throutte? Would you be so kind to provide a diagram on how to wire new controller in. Thank you

Login or Signup to post a comment