This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

Razor MX500

Hi, I’m a newbie here. I’d like to upgrade my sons Razor MX 500. I was reading about adding another battery and switching the motor to 48V I believe but I’m not sure how I’d fit another battery. I’m not too good with my hands. Just the basics unless there’s a video or something with instructions. Also read something about 36V. What is the difference in speed with upgrading to 36V vs 48 V? Thanks I’m advance.

If you search on YouTube for "Razor MX500 48 Volt Conversion" there are some videos that show how a fourth battery was installed. 

The MX500 is 36 Volts right out of the box so it is already there. Some people overvolt the MX500 to 48 Volts with various levels of success. Overvolting can possibly lead to burning out the original controller and/or motor though so it has to be done at your own risk. We carry both 36 Volt 750 Watt and 800 Watt Motors that fits in the frame which if installed along with a 36 Volt 750 Watt or 1000 Watt controller will provide a 50% or higher increase in power over the original 500 Watt motor.

We also carry both 36 Volt 800 Watt and 48 Volt 1800 Watt Modification Kits for the Razor MX500, SX500, and MX650 dirt bikes.  

Thanks for replying. 

If I were to go with the 48V will the only thing that need to be fabricated is the bracket for 4th battery or will I have to make fabrications for the motor and/or controller? 

How much will the 36V  750watt motor and controller cost and I will need new batteries also, preferably lithium. Or whichever battery lasts the longest (as in run time)  

Thanks

Sorry forgot to add, if I wanted to go with the 36V 750 watt the only thing I'd need are 

motor

controller 

new batteries 

or I'd need something else also ? 

Our kits only requires custom installing the battery pack and relocating the new controller to a different location. Our kit motors is the same size as the original so fabrication is not needed to install the motor. Most people are able to install the 48 Volt kits without any fabrication at all by positioning the four batteries in a way that they fit in the original location as the original three batteries.  

We now have a 36 Volt 800 Watt upgrade kit for the MX500, MX650, and SX500 which sells for $349.95 and is our item # KIT-MX36800-1.

We have the same 36 Volt 800 Watt kit with a LiFePO4 battery and charger which sells for $1099.95 and is our item # KIT-MX36800-2

Does the 36V kit provide instructions? 

Also, do you have any recommendations for a shop that provides installation in the NYC area ?  

Also, is it necessary to change the chain when upgrading to 48V?

The 36 Volt kits do not have written instructions included with them, however, all of their connectors and adapters have labels on them which say where they go so the labels provide directions to help install the kit.

We do not know of any shops in the NYC area that install our conversion kits so you would need to call around for that.

If overvolting the original 36 Volt motor to 48 Volts then replacing the chain is not necessary. 

If installing one of our 36 Volt 800 Watt kits then replacing the original chain is not necessary unless it has a lot of miles on it and is worn out.  

If installing one of our 48 Volt 1800 Watt kits then they come with a new chain and wheel sprocket and installing the chain and sprocket that are included with the kit is necessary. 

ok I'm gonna settle for the 48v conversion kit for an MX650 I just purchased. The batteries are brand new so I'll just stick with those for now. Does this kit (Product Code: KIT-MX481800-2-NB ) come with connectors for the batteries or will I have to purchase it separately ?

The item # KIT-MX481800-2-NB kit includes a battery pack wiring harness with connectors for the batteries. This is a 48 Volt kit which requires four batteries though and the stock MX650 is a 36 Volt dirt bike with three batteries so a fourth battery would need to be added to the original battery pack to make it 48 Volts. 

If the battery pack is original or a high-quality replacement then the battery harness is soldered onto the batteries and it might be difficult to get enough solder off of the battery terminals to install the kit's push-on battery terminals. There are desoldering wicks and pumps available which would help to get the solder off though. 

Login or Signup to post a comment