This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

Add a battery to TaoTao ate 501

I am trying to a 5th battery to my TaoTao ate-501. When installed in series The motor will not run with a 5th battery. The bike is rated at 48 volts and 500 watts. My question for you is is it the controller or the motor that is preventing a 5th battery from working?? If I replaced the controller to a 60 volt 1000 watt with the motor be able to handle the extra load? And finally do you sell a controller like this that would accommodate headlights tail lights turn signals Etc?

Some controllers have over Voltage shutoff circuits which prevent them from being overvolted. Most controllers do not have this feature though. The motor will almost certainly not have an overvoltage shutdown feature though.

If you over-Volted and over-Watted a 48 Volt 500 Watt motor to 60 Volts 1000 Watts I would not expect for it to last very long due to overheating. 

I have seen OEM TaoTao ATE 501 controllers and the headlights, taillights, and turn signals are not wired through them and are instead wired through the scooter's wiring harness. If your ATE 501 has the lighting wired through the controller then that would be a very difficult controller to replace and unfortunately, we would not have a solution for that. 

Login or Signup to post a comment