This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

Razor Ecosmart Over-volting

Have installed 3 12v Lithium LiFePO4 SLA 10 Amp-hour and enjoy the extended range. Would like to add an additional battery in series to over-volt to 48V. Not concerned if I eventually burn out the controller or motor, would than upgrade to a 750 watt motor and 48 volt controller. 

If I add another battery and got a 48volt charger do I need to take any precautions when first charging an unbalanced battery bank? 

Thanks for any guidance, these forums are great. Impressed with the knowledge and helpfulness exhibited here.

Thanks again,

- Ed  

12 Volt LiFePO4 batteries have built-in battery management systems (BMS) which are not designed for charging the batteries in series when the batteries are used to make a series wired battery pack. Due to this, we recommend charging each 12 Volt LiFePO4 battery with its own battery charger that is the correct Voltage and Amperage for the battery that it is charging. 

Below is an example of how we recommend recharging our 12 Volt LiFePO4 batteries.

The wiring example shown above can be extended with additional batteries to make a 36 Volt, 48 Volt, 60 Volt, 72 Volt, or higher Voltage battery pack.

When the LiFePO4 batteries are individually charged as shown above each battery in the pack will be charged to the same Voltage level and the battery bank will be balanced each time that it is recharged. 

Login or Signup to post a comment