This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

Modify gas scooter to electric

Hi there, I'm looking to modify my gas powered scooter to electric, and am looking for some help in choosing parts.  I have attached a picture of the scooter in its current form.  The wheels are 9", with a 45 tooth chain sprocket.  The chain is 8mm (though I am not against changing the sprocket and chain if advisable).  I would like to be able to go 15-20 mph (though will settle for 15mph if I have to).  Will be used on flat road for commuting to transit stop (6 miles round trip).  I weigh about 210 lbs.  Based on the calculator on this site, I should be able to achieve 20mph with a motor that has a drive sprocket of 11 teeth, so I presume the key is to ensure I have enough power for my weight, and also enough amp-hours to be able to do 6 miles on a charge.  Assistance with choosing the right motor and battery pack would be greatly appreciate. 

JPG
(387 KB)
To achieve a 20 MPH top speed with your electric scooter I recommend using a motor with at least 750 Watts. To play it safe I would go with a 1000 Watt motor though. We have a 36 Volt 1000 Watt motor that has an 11 tooth 8mm chain sprocket on it which would work with your existing rear wheel sprocket (item # MOT-361000B).

For a 36 Volt battery pack that would go a minimum of 6 miles on flat ground with a 750-1000 Watt motor I would go with a set of three 15Ah batteries at minimum. Upgrading to 18Ah or 22Ah batteries would give increased range but may not be necessary if only a 6 mile range is needed.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Login or Signup to post a comment