This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

Radio Flyer Go-kart

I'm building a radio flyer go kart. I want to make it electric. I was looking at the 24v 500W (Item # MOT-24500X2500B) the drivetrain is a 1" live axle. The sprocket that fits this axle hub is a 53 tooth #35 chain. Can this motor use a 11 tooth 35 mm chain sprocket on the motor? Also Would this speed controller (Item # SPD-24500)work well for this application? For the foot throttle (Item # THR-91) do you have anything smaller you can recommend? For the batteries (Item # BAT-12V12A) can I connect three or four to this system? If so how long would the batteries last? Thank you for your time.
jpg
(1.72 MB)
jpg
(1.38 MB)
jpg
(1.81 MB)
Sorry it has taken so long to respond. A 24 Volt 500 Watt 2500RPM motor would be suitable for use on flat to slightly inclined terrain if the wheel sprocket was large enough to create the right gear ratio. The right gear ratio for a 500 Watt motor used on flat ground with the occasional slight inclines would provide a top speed of 12-15 miles per hour. The gear ratio with a 2500 RPM motor and a two sprocket chain drive power transmission system could not be made to go any slower than 12-15 MPH or else the rear sprocket would be too big and hit the ground.

If you want it to go 12-15 miles per hour and be able to go up hills then I would use a 750-1000 Watt motor. Or you could use a 450-650 Watt gear motor with a gear ratio that provided a slower top speed.

Can this motor use a 11 tooth 35 mm chain sprocket on the motor? We do not have any #35 chain sprockets that will fit onto that motor off the shelf. We have had customers bore out our 10 tooth #35 sprocket from its original 3/8" bore to the required 12mm bore that the 24 Volt 500 Watt 2500 RPM motor has, so it is possible with our 10 tooth #35 sprocket.

Also Would this speed controller (Item # SPD-24500)work well for this application? Yes, SPD-24500 is perfectly matched for a 24 Volt 500 Watt motor.

For the foot throttle (Item # THR-91) do you have anything smaller you can recommend?
We do have a smaller foot throttle, it is item # THR-90.

For the batteries (Item # BAT-12V12A) can I connect three or four to this system? For a 24 Volt battery pack you could use either 2 batteries or 4 batteries. You could not use 3 batteries though. Here is a link to a page that shows how to wire battery packs: http://support.electricscooterparts.com/support/solutions/articles/1000118932-battery-pack-wiring-guide

If you want to make 4 batteries into a 24 Volt battery pack please let me know and I will draw an illustration showing how to do that and post it here.

If so how long would the batteries last? On flat ground running at 500 Watt motor at full speed a battery pack made with two 12 Ah batteries would run for around 1/2 hour, and a pack made with four 12 Ah batteries would run for around an hour.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any further questions or comments.

Login or Signup to post a comment