This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

Can LiFePO4 batteries replace stock Li-Ion stock batteries in scooters?

Hi.  Specifically, I want to purchase an I-MAX T3 but they told me it gets 700 recharge cycles.  The EcoReco says they get 2,000 cycles out of their LiFePO4 batteries.  Each company's replacement batteries are quoted the same but obviously the EcoReco is the better value because I'd have to replace batteries less often.  Is it possible to easily substitute a LiFePO4 for a Li-Ion or are there controller/charger issues that would need to be accounted for?

Thanks.

A LiFePO4 battery is a type of Li-ion battery. If a manufacturer says their scooter uses Li-ion batteries then they are being vague and not mentioning which type of Li-ion battery they are using. These days most but not all electric scooters that have Li-ion batteries use LiFePO4. I have recently seen some smaller electric scooters that use multiple LiMn2O4 18650 cells though.

LiMn2O4 Li-ion batteries typically have a 300-700 recharge cycle lifespan while LiFePO4 Li-ion batteries typically have a 1000-2000 recharge cycle lifespan.

Substituting a LiFePO4 battery pack for another type of Li-ion battery pack should not present any problems to the controller as long as it is the same Voltage as the original battery pack. As far as the battery charger goes there are small differences between different types of Li-ion batteries so I would make sure that the existing battery charger charges at a Voltage that is recommended for the new LiFePO4 battery pack. The manufacturer or distributor of the LiFePO4 battery pack should have the charging specifications available for their batteries.

The LiFePO4 batteries that we sell have a built in battery management system (BMS) so they can be used with virtually any battery charger that is the correct Voltage for the battery pack. Other LiFePO4 batteries are different than ours though.

Thanks so much for your help.

Login or Signup to post a comment