This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

mobility scooter

need to know what would be the right combination of motor and battery size to safely power up a mobility scooter that I'm trying to built, it doesn't have to be too fancy, just to get around. thank you for the help and all suggestions are welcome.....

The motor and battery size that is needed depends mostly upon the top speed that the scooter will be geared for. Do you know what the top speed is that you want the scooter to go?

I was thinking of utilizing the KIT-102 that you guys sell, I need the scooter to go at least walking speed, maybe 6-10 mph.......

Average walking speed is around 3 mph, so a 6-10 mph top speed would be considered jogging or running speed. KIT-102 has a 250 Watt motor that would work for a 6 mph top speed on flat ground and inclines, and for a 10 mph top speed on flat ground. However the motor in KIT-102 is 2650 rpm so it would be difficult to gear it for such a low speed as 6 mph, as even with a wheel sprocket that is the same diameter as the rim itself, the top speed would be geared at 10-12 mph. KIT-102 would work if you are okay with a 10-12 mph top speed and do not plan to use the scooter to go up inclines.

If you plan to use the scooter to go up inclines such as ramps and hills then it will need a more powerful motor for a 10 mph top speed. For a top speed under 10 mph a gear motor will most likely need to be used in order for the drivetrain to have the right gear ratio.

I can help with selecting the right size and type of motor and sprockets for your project. I just need a little more information to run the calculations.

Do you know what the diameter of the tires that are driven by the motor will be for this project?

Also now that you have a better understanding of what parts are needed for the different top speeds, what is the top speed that you would like the scooter to run at?

Thank you for the information, I'm not to concerned about how fast it will ride I need it to be able to go up a normal incline every now and then and not a hill. I was thinking of utilizing 10 or 12 inches wheels, but if you have a better idea I'm all ears. I'm waiting for a kidney transplant, unable to work so I decided to be productive by going back to school, but now walking around campus it getting difficult......

Thank you for the information. I was wondering if you have figured out what size motor and battery I should use when using 10 or 12 inches wheels, if you have a better idea please let me know. thank you....

In order to run the gear ratio calculations and figure out which motor and batteries will be compatible I will need to know the top speed that you want the scooter to have?

I have being searching around and most of the mobility scooters top speed range from 6 to 10 mph, so I guess the top speed would be 10 mph, I hope this helps to figure out the size of motor and battery to use. Thank you.... 

I have being searching around and most of the mobility scooters top speed range from 6 to 10 mph, so I guess the top speed would be 10 mph, I hope this helps to figure out the size of motor and battery to use. Thank you.... 

For a 10 mph top speed a 250 Watt motor should work for a rider up to 200 pounds and grades up to 5 percent. For a heavier rider or steeper grades a larger motor would be needed.

I recommend using a motor that is 500 or more Watts so the scooter has enough power to make it up occasional steep grades. However if you are confident that the scooter will not encounter grades more than 5 percent with a 200 pound rider then a 250 Watt motor should work for it.

Here are the gear ratio calculations for around a 10 mph top speed with 10" and 12" tires, using available wheel sprocket sizes for #25 chain.

As far as the battery pack goes the size it needs to be depends on how much ride time is needed. Generally speaking and on mostly flat ground a 24V 10Ah battery pack will provide a 1/2 hour ride time, a 24V 15Ah battery pack will provide a 45 minute ride time, a 24V 18Ah battery pack will provide a 1 hour ride time, a 24V 35Ah battery pack will provide a 2 hour ride time, etc.

Once the parts that you want to use have been determined we can make a kit out of them if you would like.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you for all the information and help I'm very grateful for your assistance.....

Login or Signup to post a comment