This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

razor dune buggy up and down grassy hills

I am looking into getting a razor dune buggy for my 80 lb son and would like to make sure it has enough torque to get up hills in grassy conditions. I am not interested in much more speed. What is the most cost effective way to accomplish this? 

The Razor Dune Buggy has fairly low gearing (8.46 to 1 gear ratio) and 350 Watt motor so with an 80 pound rider it should be able to climb some grass covered hills right out of the box.

If it does not have enough power in its stock form to climb the hills that you need it to then the original 350 Watt motor could be upgraded to a 500 Watt or larger motor. The original Dune Buggy controller is good for motors up to 500 Watts so it would not need to be replaced with a 500 or 600 Watt motor upgrade. I am not sure if a large format motor such as our MOT-24500X2500B would fit in the Dune Buggy (if it does then it is the motor that I recommend though), however I have seen Currie motors, such as our item # MOT-SD156, MOT-SD166, or MOT-SD175 installed in them so I know that they will fit, however they will require a custom made L-shaped mounting bracket as shown below.

Probably the most cost effective way to increase the Dune Buggy's hill climbing ability would be to install a 500 or 600 Watt motor and keep everything else original. Installing a higher powered motor would not increase the top speed and would only provide faster acceleration and the ability to climb steeper hills.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

I found an example of our MOT-24500X2500 motor installed on a Razor Dune Buggy so it definitely is possible to mount a large size motor into it. This larger size motor will run cooler, last longer, and provide more torque than a smaller size motor with the same Watts rating.

I found this large format motor modification on a blog which has information on how to mount the motor and more videos of the Dune Buggy. Here is the link: http://blog.briangallimore.com/2014/11/02/razor-dune-buggy-w-500w-motor-36v-battery/

This Dune Buggy was modified to run a 24 Volt 500 Watt motor on 36 Volts, so the motor is over-Volted and is now producing 1000 Watts instead of 500 Watts, and runs at 3750 RPM instead of 2500 RPM. This is why the Dune Buggy in the video now goes 13 miles per hour.

The same 24 Volt 500 Watt motor could also be installed without modifying the original battery pack and controller, and would produce 500 Watts and run at 2500 RPM so the Dune Buggy would go 9 miles per hour just like it did when it left the factory, however it would now have around 50% more power to climb up the hills.

Here is the video that the image above was captured from.

I notice that the motor is attached to the Dune Buggy's frame with 1/4" threaded rods which are available at most hardware stores. The one thing I recommend is to slide 1/4" ID clear flexible PVC tubing, which is also available at most hardware stores, over the threaded rods where they make contact with the motor. The flexible PVC tubing will grip the motor much better than the threaded rods will, and will also prevent the paint on the motor from getting scratched.

Login or Signup to post a comment