This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

48v 1000 versus 60v 1000w

Good day,

I am modifying my third Razor product to be the most powerful.  Previous was a 2' stretched PR200 @ 48v 350w, and Dirt Quad @ 48v 650w).  My current project is MX650 projected 60v 1000w.

I modified the chassis to support five 12ah batteries for 60v and also purchased a 48v controller and throttle, but now I am stuck on the motor choice.  I know the controllers/motors can handle an over charge by one step (36 to 48; 48 to 60, etc) but what I can't wrap my head around is the motors themselves.

In an attempt to save some money, the 48v 1000w motor is much cheaper than the 60v 1000w.  Although they are the same MY1020 motor, what makes the 60v handle more?  Is it the size of copper and number of wraps around the brushes?  I'm fairly certain this is the case.

Ultimately my question is this - if the input is 60v, will there be a significant output difference between the 48v and 60v motors, keeping the wattage output at 1000w?

Output motor speed is the same between both motors (3000 rpm), so calculating the actual vehicle speed using the formula S1×T1=S2×T2 doesn't take into account the motor's top voltage handling.

Maybe I'm nuking this, but I feel I'm overlooking something.  I appreciate your assistance.

Sincerely,
Lee

Photo shows the stretched middle tray and additional top tray.  Battery config will be 1, 2, 2.  :)

Comparing 48 Volt and 60 Volt 1000 Watt 3000 RPM motors, just as you mentioned the motor's coils are wound with a different size wire and number of turns for each different Voltage of motor.

When using a 60 Volt battery pack there will be a difference in motor speed between using a 48 Volt 1000 Watt 3000 RPM and 60 Volt 1000 Watt 3000 RPM motor. With a 60 Volt battery pack the 60 Volt motor will run at 3000 RPM, and the 48 Volt motor will run at 3750 RPM [1].

When running on 60 Volts the 48 Volt 1000 Watt motor has the potential to produce 1663 Watts [2]. Of course it would need to be used with a speed controller capable of supplying that much power in order to produce it. If it were run on a 60 Volt 1000 Watt speed controller then it would be limited to producing 1000 Watts.

When a motor rated for 1000 Watts is running at 1663 Watts it will produce more heat than it does when running at 1000 Watts, so the motor temperature should be monitored during the initial trial runs to make sure it can handle the new amount of power under the conditions it is being used under.

To sum things up if you want the bike to go as fast as possible on flat ground and are not too worried about reliability then the 48 Volt motor would be a good choice, and if you want the bike to have maximum reliability along with a lot of torque for going up hills, through sand, and riding off road then the 60 Volt motor would be the best choice.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

References:

1. Motor Overvoltage RPM Calculator

2. Motor Overvoltage Power Calculator

Sound advice.  Thanks.

Which controller would get the motor up to 1663 Watts.
I have this controller 48 Volt 2000 Watt Electric Scooter Speed Controller (SPD-482000A)

The SPD-482000A controller is a good match for a 48 Volt 1663 Watt brushed motor.

No I mean with this controller that I already have how do I get the 1000 w 48 v motor up 1663 watts
For the motor to demand 1663 Watts of power its gearing and the riding conditions will need to be tuned correctly to obtain that power demand target.

The SPD-48200A controller outputs up to 60 Amps, so a 48 Volt 1000 watt motor can demand up to 60 Amps (2880 Watts) from it. A 48 Volt 1000 Watt motor is rated for 1000 Watts of continuous usage, so if used under conditions where it demands more than 1000 Watts from the controller then its usage periods of demand that are over 1000 Watts should be intermittent so the motor does not overheat.

For example, a 1000 Watt motor could demand 2000 Watts when going uphill for a few minutes and then demand 500 Watts when back on flat ground a while and it should not overheat. 

So all I have to do is run it at 60 volts Right??

There are more parameters to consider than Voltage alone if you want or need the motor to demand 1663 Watts of power. The motor could demand 1663 Watts running on either 48 or 60 Volts. The load torque that the vehicle places on the axle or wheel and the gear ratio between the axle/wheel and motor are the determining factors of how many Watts the motor will demand from the controller.

If a 48 Volt controller and a 60 Volt controller, both with 28 Amp current limits, were used on a 48 Volt 1000 Watt motor the motor could demand up to 1008 Watts from the 48 Volt controller, and up to 1680 Watts from the 60 Volts controller. No matter what Voltage the motor is run on it is still rated for 1000 Watts of continuous duty, so if it was run on 60 Volts then the demand of the motor would need to be limited to 1000 Watts continuous or a combination of over 1000 and under 1000 Watts intermittently so the motor does not overheat.

Wow the more I think I'm understanding this thing its the more confusing its sounding now. OK wats the amp that my controller is rated at. If I understand wat u r saying is with my current system the only thing I can do right now is to add another 12 volt battery right to boost the rpm to 3750?

The SPD-48200A controller has a maximum output current rating of 60 Amps.

To increase the speed of the motor the Voltage would need to be increased. A 48 Volt 3000 RPM motor will run at 3750 RPM on 60 Volts.

OK thankx
How did you overcome the size difference

Login or Signup to post a comment