This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

Using electromagnetic brakes with a mobility scooter motor

Hello,

I am currently building a modified mobility scooter.  Each rear wheel has its own motor, and they are from Pride Victory 10 scooters.  I have them connected to one of your 24v controllers.  It works well but lacks a little in torque.  I plan to get another controller so each motor has its own.

Right now I have no brakes.  I would like to use the electromagnetic brakes that come with the motors.  As I understand it they need 24v flowing through them to keep them "off."  Once the current is turned off the brakes clamp down on the motor and stop it.

The brakes indicate they are 24v but only 1.5 amps.  I had thought about wiring the brakes directly into the motor wiring so that when the power to the motor stopped the brakes would kick in.  But I'm not sure about the variable voltage going into the motor.  I'm also concerned about the number of amps that would go into the brakes.

So it is probably obvious that I don't know what I'm doing!  :)  But any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

The 24V 1.5 Amp electric brake will only draw 1.5 Amps of power no matter how much power is supplied to it, so you do not need to worry about the Amperage that they are supplied with.

Connecting the electric brake to the motor wires will not work because when the motor is rotating then it is generating electricity even if the throttle is released or the power switch is turned off. This would not allow the brake to engage when the scooter was moving. The brake should be connected to the power input wires of the controller so that when the power is turned off the brake will engage. The electromagnetic brake could also be connected to a switch so they could be activated when the power is on.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks, I actually got it figured out.  Pretty much how you explained it.  I used a momentary switch.

I do have a few questions.  I am currently using two identical motors from mobility scooters, basically because I had them sitting around.  They are rated at 270 watts continuous, 400 watts peak.  I am using the 1000 watt controllers you sell, one for each motor.  This setup works pretty well on flat ground with a 12 tooth sprocket on the motors and 72 tooth sprockets on each wheel.  But I think they may not have enough power to carry me up modest hills, etc.

So my questions are as follows:  do your motor wattages show continuous power, peak power, or something else?  Would they give me more power?  And is there any way possible to use my electromagnetic brakes on your motors?  They currently attach to a nut on the back end of the motors.

Thanks for your help!!!

The Watts ratings of our motors is the amount of power that they can continuously provide without overheating. They can provide more power than they are rated for momentarily, however if they were asked to provide more power than they are rated for for an extended period of time then they would be prone to overheating. Volts, Amps, Watts (Volts/Amps), and load do not burn out electric motors, only heat does. So as long as the motor does not overheat then it can handle just about anything that you can throw at it.

Most of our motors only have a shaft on one end of them, however our MOT-36600PL is the exception and it has shafts on both ends with a fan attached to the shaft on back of the motor. I am not sure how to go about attaching an electromagnetic brake to one of our motors though because that is something I have not tried to do before.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks.  I kind of figured it would be a stretch to get the electromagnetic brakes to work.

With regards to the motors, they are not overheating.  So is it safe to assume they are handling everything the controllers will send them?  If so, would new/bigger motors not make a difference?

I am thinking this might be more of a gearing issue.  When we first started out we had a 15 tooth sprocket on the motors and a 60 tooth sprocket on the drive wheels.  A 4:1 ratio.  While there was not much torque or hill climbing ability, we were doing almost 23 MPH on the straightaway.  Right now the gear ratio is 6:1 (12 tooth and 72 tooth sprockets).  It still goes really fast.  So do you think I should put smaller sprockets on the motors, bigger sprockets on the drive wheels, or both?

Thanks again.

hello, I have a problem with a more precise scooter with an electromagnetic brake that goes smoothly when the batteries are freshly charged but after the battery indicator drops only with a line the brake does not stop to start ??? that could be the cause

Login or Signup to post a comment