This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

Chinese 110cc ATV conversion to Electric

I have a 13 year old disabled son who likes to hunt. He currently has a chinese 100cc gasoline atv that we would like to convert to Electric so he can use it to get from our base camp to his deer blind more quietly. We can't afford a $12,000 track wheelchair so I thought this would be a good option. This is all new to me but I am trying to learn. 

What info would you need from me to help me get the right setup?

I'd like atleast a 1 hour run time for him. He weighs about 100 pounds. He likes to go fast when he does not have to be quiet. 

A 110cc 4 stroke ATV engine produces a lot of power, maybe in the 6 to 10 horsepower range. It would take a very large electric motor to produce that much power, so if you convert the ATV to electric its power will be a lot lower than with the old gas engine. Electric motors also do not have transmissions like gas ATV engines do so with an electric motor there will only be one gear so it will need to be decided if the ATV will go slow and be able to climb steep hills, or go fast and not be a good hill climber.

I can run some gear ratio calculations and see what the top speed would be when using our motors so you have an idea of what is possible. I just need to know the diameter of the ATVs rear wheels?

The atv has 16x8-7 tires which I think is 51 inches around.

tire.jpg
(270 KB)

I would say that the ATV can go slow and be able to climb steep hills. Walking speed or a little fast would be good.

ESP Support, Any ideas on this?

I ran a gear ratio calculation using the ATV's 16 inch tire height and our MOT-36600G 36 Volt 600 Watt gear motor and got a top speed of 4.78 MPH with a 48 tooth axle sprocket. Here is the calculation.

For climbing steep hills with a 600 Watt electric motor this is the highest gear ratio that I recommend using.

The MOT-36600G gear motor has a 10 tooth sprocket for #420 chain. The axle sprocket would need to have the right number of teeth and work with #420 chain and a #420 chain used between the motor and axle sprockets.

Most ATVs have either #420, #428, or #520 chain and sprockets. The difference between these chain sizes is their pitch and width. #420 sprockets have a 1/2" pitch and are 1/4" wide, #428 sprockets have a 1/2" pitch and are 5/16" wide, and #520 sprockets have a 5/8" pitch and are 1/4" wide.

If the ATV has an axle sprocket for #420 chain with 48 or more teeth then it can be used with the 600 Watt gear motor, otherwise a new axle sprocket would need to be sourced for the project.

While you are working on the axle sprocket side of the project I can begin calculating what size battery pack will be needed. How many minutes of run time would you like for the ATV to have?

I am also looking to do a similar project but for my 3 y/o son I just picked up a 50cc gas scooter with a blown piston and have a mongoose m350 sitting here with no battery's. I was looking to install a freel wheel gear on the existing m350 motor and also converting it to the larger chain the atv came with it is much smaller then a 520 chain on our 110cc. My question is do they make gears for this Motor that are available for the bigger chain, what gear ratio I should us and also what battery's. the complete wiring system from the m350'will be used on the quad.
IMG0102.JPG
(2.69 MB)
Hi Matt, I just left a reply for you on the topic at this link: https://electricscooterparts.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/1000084288

We do not carry sprockets that fit 350 Watt electric scooter motor which are larger than for #25 chain. The easiest way would be to install a sprocket for #25 chain on the axle.

We can calculate the gear ratio and axle sprocket size if you could let us know the diameter of the ATV's rear tire, and the number of teeth on the motor sprocket? Also do you want to use the ATV on primarily flat ground, or to go up hills and through mud or sand?

Regarding battery size, how many minutes of ride time would you like for the ATV to have?

Would 1.5 hours be unrealistic for my project?

I just ran a ride time calculation using our Battery Pack Ah Rating Calculator and found that a battery pack made from two 12 Volt 22Ah batteries would provide a 1.5 hour ride time if the ATV was used on flat ground with some hills. Here is the calculation.

12 Volt 22Ah Batteries are not very large or heavy and you should be able to fit a couple of them into the ATV. Each 22Ah battery is 7-1/8" long x 3" wide x 6-5/8" high, and they weigh around 14 pounds each.

12 Volt 22Ah Battery
Quick question earlier in this thread you mentioned a 36 volt 600 watt motor setup in the gearing portion. However, you suggested 2 12 volt 22ah batteries.
Hi Karl, Matt joined this topic and is converting a gas ATV to electric with a 24 Volt motor so my two 12 Volt 22Ah batteries suggestion was for him.

Regarding your project, a 1.5 hour run time is realistic with the right size batteries. If your ATV will be used on flat ground with some hills then a set of three 12 Volt 22Ah batteries would provide around 80 minutes of ride time.

For a 1.5 hour (90 minute) ride time three 12 Volt 26Ah batteries would be needed.

These ride times would likely be longer on flat ground only, and shorter if used in mostly hilly areas.

Login or Signup to post a comment