This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

Razor Ground Force Drifter 500 watt motor coversion

My son's Razor Ground Force Drifter needs an upgrade. I want to do a 500watt motor upgrade and need all the parts to complete it. Can someone on the forum here provide me with all necessary parts to complete the conversion. Part numbers would be helpful. I'm looking to purchase all brand new parts. 

Thanks very much. Christopher.

I like the $270 option with the throttle mounted reverse switch and am ready to make a purchase. Thanks.

Okay that sounds great. I will start working on the kit and post a link to it here in around an hour. Thank you.

Thank you

I have got the kit finished. It is our item number KIT-137-D. Here is the link to it: https://cart.electricscooterparts.com/24-volt-500-watt-razor-ground-force-and-ground-force-drifter-modification-kit-with-reverse

I included the MOT-24500X2500B motor with the kit. If you prefer a different motor then please let me know and I will modify the kit to include it.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Ok one last thing. Is the 500w motor that you're providing on rhe kit good, better, or best? I see they're all comparably or the same price.
The MOT-24500X2500 and MOT-24500X2500B motors are the best 24 Volt 500 Watt motor that we sell. I included the MOT-24500X2500B version with the kit because it has a mounting base.

The other 24 Volt 500 Watt motors that we sell are smaller and do not have cooling vents, so they heat up faster and I believe that they also do not have as much low end torque due to their smaller size. I recommend using the smaller 500 Watt motors only if the larger ones would not fit.

One change to the kit that you might want to consider would be to not have the reverse switch on the throttle so it can not be accidentally pressed while driving. If the reverse switch was accidentally pressed when the go kart was moving then the controller could be damaged. The controller is a lot like a transmission in a car and the vehicle has to be completely stopped before switching between forward and reverse. A toggle switch for reverse could be located behind the seat or somewhere else and would be less likely to be accidentally switched, however it would also not be as easy to switch between forward and reverse directions as if the switch was on the throttle. It's totally your call on this and I just wanted to throw that information out there so you can make the right decision.

I appreciate all this information. Let's run the seperate reverse toggle switch.
Okay no problem at all, I think that is a good idea. How much wire would you like between the reverse toggle switch and the controller?
I was just looking a Ground Force Drifter photo and may have found a good place to mount the reverse toggle switch.

3' should be sufficient
Okay that sounds good. I added an extra 10 inches to the toggle switch wire and made it 46 inches just to make sure there is enough wire, because you can always have a little extra wire, but not having enough wire would be a problem.

I made a new item number for this kit which is KIT-137-E. Here is the link to it: https://cart.electricscooterparts.com/24-volt-500-watt-razor-ground-force-and-ground-force-drifter-modification-kit-without-reverse

Please have a look at the kit and let us know if you have any questions or would like any changes made to it.

Ok with the power switch on and illuminated, all the plugs plugged in, the motor runs. Reverse works too. However the thumb throttle lights do not illuminate. Is that normal with the motor upgrade?

Great to hear that the installation was successful and the motor is running. Our technician found that the lights on the original throttle that you sent us to install on the kit were not compatible with the conversion kit's controller so he could not get them to work.

Ok we can live with that.
There is a 3 pin plug tagged not in use. It is side by side with the plug that is to be used. We plugged it in to make sure it was it was not needed and The throttle brings the motor to top speed much faster than when plugged into the correctly tagged plug. Is this harmful and is the motor indeed running faster?

We do not recommend connecting plugs together which are not identically marked because throttles and speed controllers are very sensitive to miswiring and damage to either part could occur if they are not wired correctly.

I can check and see what the 3 pin plug tagged not in use is for. Could you please check the label on the controller and let me know what its number is?

Login or Signup to post a comment