This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

Electric Go Kart Project - Help sizing system

I am working with my 13 year old son to setup a electric go kart. We currently have a rolling kart and essentially need all the electrical components: Motor, Speed controller, Wiring, batteries, charger, charger port, foot pedal, key switch, fuse, etc...

The kart currently has a 60 tooth sprocket with a #35 chain. Also, the size tires on it are 11 - 11.5" in diameter.  I would like the kart to have some zip and top speed between 20 - 30mph. Additionally, I would like the battery life to last ~ 45 minutes or so.

I saw a previous kit that was assembled and wondering if this KIT-159 would be a good fit for my needs: 

https://cart.electricscooterparts.com/36-volt-1000-watt-electric-go-kart-power-kit-with-reverse

Also, I would like to have a speed limiter, in the event the to speed is too high. I saw this part, and was wondering if this THR-ADJUSTER would be a good fit with the kit:

https://cart.electricscooterparts.com/throttle-top-speed-adjustable-limiter

One other nice to have, would be the option to connect 12v accessories(lights and/or horn). I believe the kit above has a converter included to address that, however I am not sure how the wiring works for that.

I am open to other kits or suggested changes. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the sprocket and tire information. That gear ratio is perfect for the 1000 Watt motor. The controller has a 32 Amp current limiting circuit built into it so the current that it demands from the battery pack should not reach too much more than 32 Amps. A 40 Amp fuse should have been included with the kit. If a 40 Amp (orange) fuse was included with the kit and it blew then maybe it was a defective fuse. We could send you a few 40 Amp fuses at no charge if you would like?

Correct, it did have 40amp fuse w/ the kit. After it blew, I actually bought some new 40amp fuses. The new fuse did work for a quick test run, but have not run it extensively yet. If the new fuse also ends up blowing, should I consider increasing to 50 AMP or should I suspect something is wrong(short in the system somewhere) that I need to fix?

Thx,

Matt

The controller should only draw a little over 32 Amps maximum from the battery pack so a 40 Amp fuse should work with it. If the 40 Amp fuse keeps blowing when the go kart is being driven on relatively flat ground then something might be causing that to happen such as a short. I would only expect for the fuse to blow when going up too steep of a hill.

If the 40A fuse keeps blowing when the go kart is driven on flat ground then I would look more into what could be causing the problem instead of immediately switching to a 50 Amp fuse. A 50 Amp fuse will work good with the system though so if it is what is needed to make it run then that will be okay.

I think it is most likely that the first 40A fuse was either defective or not inserted into the fuse holder all of the way which caused it to overheat and blow, and that the second 40A fuse will hold up and work.

Please let us know how it goes.

Login or Signup to post a comment