This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

Battery Compatability

I'm thinking of upgrading from the standard lead acid battery to lithium batteries. I'm wondering which of the battery packs here would be compatible with the Evomotion 1800W 48V 12A electric scooter. Also, would it be advised to increase the voltage to let's say 60V, or would it burn out the motor? I'm also looking for a smart charger, one that cuts off the power when the battery is fully charged. One last thing, soon I will be starting college and occassionally I will have a load weighing 110kg, sometimes even more. I predict this might hinder the performance of the scoote (shorter battery cycle, problem getting uphill etc...). Is there anything I can do to prevent this drop in performance? Thank you

The lithium battery pack will need to be rated for a maximum continuous discharge current that is the same or higher than the controller's maximum current rating. Since the motor is rated at 1800 Watts then at 48 Volts that would be 37.5 Amps however the controller will be rated at more than this so the controller's maximum current rating should be used as the figure to purchase the battery pack with. To be safe a lithium battery pack with a 50 Amp maximum continuous discharge current would be a safe bet.

All chargers designed for lithium battery packs cut off power to the battery after it is fully charged. The lithium battery pack will have a charger rating specification and the charger will need to be the same Voltage as this rating and have the same or lower Amp rating.

If a heavy load is on the scooter and it is having trouble going up hills then a wheel sprocket with a larger diameter could be installed on the rear wheel to lower the gear ratio. This will increase the torque at the rear wheel and make up for the extra weight.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks for the reply. I noticed on my new scooter after riding for a while, that the battery indicator said that the batteries are medium full, however when I had my throttle almost to the max, it cut off the power. I'm presuming this was because the batteries were low? This was after riding 13km on full throttle most of the time. I have SLD batteries by the way. I'm wondering if this is normal or could there be something wrong. I also tried adjusting the chain because it was a bit loose. After half rotation of the wheel the chain was fine but after the second rotation it was tight again. This sound could also be heard during my ride. It kept transmitting from tight to loose. I would greatly appreciate your help with this.
If the power cuts out when the throttle is almost to its maximum full throttle position that indicates that the battery pack's Voltage is dropping to a low Voltage level where it needs to be recharged.

I can check and see if 13km is a normal ride time. What are the Ah rating of the batteries and how many Watts is the motor?

If the chain tension is varying from normal to tight then the sprocket or wheel may have been machined incorrectly or the axle may be bent. I would have a look at the sprocket when it is turning to see what is causing it to wobble and take it from there.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks for the help. I fixed the chain issue, I just had to find the sweet spot, took a while. The scooter has ratings of 1800W 48V 12A, with additional weight of about 100kg - the driver and other equipment, as far as the normal ride distance goes.
Great to hear that the chain tension problem has been fixed. Do the batteries have 12Ah printed on them?
Yes each battery is 12V 12Ah
I ran some ride time calculations and found that a 48 Volt 12Ah battery pack powering an 1800 Watt motor should provide around 22 minutes of ride time on flat ground, 16 minutes of ride time on flat ground with some hills, and 8 minutes of ride time on all hills. This is at full throttle and the ride time estimates will be longer if the scooter is ran at less than full throttle.
So the times you provided mean that I can have my throttle at full all the time and ride for 22, 16 and 8 mins, each depending on how many hills there are yes? So it's normal that it cut off power to my throttle after riding for 13km? And like I said I had throttle full 90% of the timd. So you're calculations must be correct. The scooter manual claims that the scooter had a range of 28km on a single charge. Based on the info would it be possible to get that far on a single charge? Thank you very much for your help.
Also I soon I will be starting college. The distance to college is 3km, however I don't have any means of charging the battery at college, and I heard it's advised to charge the battery after each ride. Could this slowly damage the batteries more over time? How about a distance of 5 - 6km when I'm travelling to work? I too don't have any means of charging the battery there. If it is harmful to the batteries is there anything I can do to stop ot minimize the damage, and is it the same case with lithium batteries? Thank you again.

Hello!

First I would like to thank ESP Support for actually answering all these different question from different people and giving detailed answers!

this is my first post, so here it goes!!!

I recently purchased a Razor MX 350 for my 8yr old son for this Christmas and noticed it had a short time he can actually ride it per charge!  I believe the time is around 20 minutes.  This is most unfortunate!! we live in the country and have a rough terrain so the ride time will probably even less.  what recommendations would you have to expand his ride time?  I read different articles on lithium batteries and believe this may be the answer to the problem....thank you!

To increase the ride time a battery pack with a higher Amp hour (Ah) rating would need to be installed. The original battery pack on newer version Razor MX350 dirt bikes is 24 Volt 7Ah. We carry 9Ah batteries that are the same size as the original 7Ah battery pack which would provide a 28% increase in ride time.

If you could find a way to fit and mount a larger battery pack on the bike such as a 15Ah battery pack then the ride time could be doubled.

Another option would be to figure out a way to rig up a quick change system for replacing the battery pack and then having two battery packs and replacing one with the other when the power starts getting low.

Amp hours are the same no matter what type the battery is, so the only reason to switch from lead-acid to lithium would be to make the bike weigh less. If upgrading to a larger Ah battery pack then a lithium battery pack would keep the weight down. However, the cost of lithium battery packs is typically around four times higher than lead-acid battery packs. For example a 24 Volt 15Ah battery pack costs around $90 and a 24 Volt 15Ah lithium battery pack costs around $360.00.

The most economical way to get more ride time would be to rig up a quick change system for replacing the battery pack and then the original battery pack could be used along with a new battery pack which would cost around $60.00.

Login or Signup to post a comment