This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

eZip e1000 mod gone wrong - not working

I have an eZip e1000 that I wanted to add more speed.   I have had significant experience modding RC cars.  So I thought it would be simple.  On an RC car, increasing the voltage increases speed.  The issue is the motor not the speed controller.  Increase voltage too much and you risk burning the motor.  Short bursts and keeping the heat down and you can keep it under control.  I also figured that if I blew up the motor, I would replace it with a brushless or some other mod.

First question:  Is the current e100 motor a brushless?  I could not find anything stating that it is or isn’t.  I am assuming it isn’t.

After wiring another battery (12V) in series, the scooter was slightly quicker. Just messing around I added an add’l 12V. The scooter takes off about 10 feet then the battery level indicator starts bouncing from full to empty and the scooter slows as if the battery were dead.

Did I blow up the controller? I wanted to know before I go and change out to a controller with more capacity.

Any suggestions on motor upgrades.

Thanks

Marc

The eZip E1000 electric scooter does not have a brushless motor, it has a brushed motor.

Some of the newer model eZip controllers may have an over-Voltage limiting circuit which shuts down the controller if it detects too high of a battery pack Voltage. That may be what caused the controller to act erratically with the higher Voltage battery pack. I am not sure if over-Volting the controller like that would damage it though.

To determine if the controller still work I would test it with a 36 volt battery pack and see what happens. If it no longer works with a 36 Volt battery pack then it must have burned out when it was over-Volted.

The 36 Volt 1000 Watt motor that the eZip 1000 scooter has is the most powerful direct fitting plug-and-play motor that is available for the scooter. It is a compact size and non-ventilated 1000 Watt motor so I do not imagine that it would do very well if over-Volted and used continuously for the amount of ride time that the battery pack provides. Maybe if holes were drilled somewhere into it and air was pumped through it for cooling then it would have a chance at surviving continuous use when over-Volted though.

If the scooter is a chain drive version then a larger motor could be custom installed which would have a better chance of surviving than the original motor. One motor we have that might be a good candidate is our 48 Volt 1800 Watt 4400 RPM brushless motor item # MOT-481800BLDC:

https://cart.electricscooterparts.com/48-volt-1800-watt-brushless-dc-motor

Here is a link to the controller that works with it, item # SPD-481500BLDC: 

https://cart.electricscooterparts.com/48/60/72-volt-1500/1600/1800-watt-electric-scooter/moped/bike-brushless-dc-motor-speed-controller

This 1800 Watt brushless motor runs at 4400 RPM compared to the original 1000 Watt motors 2600 RPM, so the top speed could be increased without the need to over-Volt the motor. This 1800 Watt BLDC motor comes with a sprocket for 8mm chain and we have sprockets that fit it which are for #25 chain. However with that powerful and fast of a motor I recommend upgrading to 8mm chain and custom installing a sprocket for 8mm chain on the rear wheel.

Thank you for the really quick reply.  I am going to return it to 36 volts and see if it works.  I also think that I may not have been able to charge the batteries with the stock charger.  I will test each of the batteries.

The e1000 model I have is the direct drive.  Is there a way to mod it to the chain?

Thanks again.

Marc

So the issue was one of the batteries was not charged.  I charged it separately and then put it back.  It runs great.  

I am assuming that the 36 volt standard charger will not charge 48 volts wired in series configuration.  I will either have to charge them separately ( a pain) or find a new charge.

Any thoughts?

Marc

Great to hear that you got it running.

A 36 Volt battery charger will not recharge a 48 Volt battery pack so the batteries will either need to be charged separately or charged together with a new 48 Volt battery charger.

There are no conversion parts available to convert a direct drive E1000 scooter to chain drive. The rear forks are different along with many other differences between them. The easiest way might be to find a donor chain drive eZip or IZIP 1000 series electric scooter and use its parts for the conversion.

Login or Signup to post a comment