This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

Motor shaft nut removal?

Hi, I've just received a new motor which I intend to remove the existing sprocket and replace it with a different sprocket. Unfortunately I haven't got a clue how to stop the motor shaft from turning as I turn the nut? How on earth do I stop the shaft from spinning please? Thanks

Here are three ways that we know to remove the motor's shaft nut:

• An impact wrench can be used to remove the nut.
  • Some motors have two flat spots machined on their shaft right behind the sprocket which an open-end wrench can be used on to hold the shaft steady.
  • A piece of chain can be wrapped around the sprocket and held onto with locking jaw pliers to hold the shaft steady.

Most electric scooter and bike motor shafts have counterclockwise threads. 

Please let us know how it goes.

That's fantastic thank you, the chain idea is a great idea and I think that's what I'll need to do. Will that be sufficient enough to replace the nut once I've changed the sprocket? ie will it be tight enough after tightening using the chain method?

Yes, the chain and locking jaw pliers method will allow the nut to be sufficiently tightened. If the locking jaw pliers are on the chain tight enough it will provide a lot of shaft holding power.

That's great thank you again. I'll check back in with you as soon as it's done to let you know how it went.
Just checking in to let you know I did it. Method being mole grips, a socket wrench and some brute strength. It took me around 5 minutes but after a bit of frustration and a bit of persistence I finally managed to remove the nut 

Thanks for letting us know. It is great to hear that the nut was able to be removed.

Login or Signup to post a comment