This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

Rascal mobility cart speed control swap

I have a rascal mobility cart that I took apart for a wagon. I would like to change out the speed controller. I know it's 24 volt but don't know what the amp draw is on the motor. I need forward and reverse and would be great if it plugged into the rascal throttle and control panel. What do you recommend. I can send pics of motor and old speed controller if that helps Joe
jpg
(1.11 MB)
jpg
(1.59 MB)
jpg
(1.43 MB)

1 person likes this idea
We do not have any controllers that would work with the Rascal throttle and control panel. We do have a 24V 500W controller with reverse that would work with the motor but would require using an electric scooter throttle instead of the Rascal throttle.

The controller I am referring to is item # SPD-24500R which is available on this page: http://www.electricscooterparts.com/speedcontrollers24volt.html

This controller could be used with any of our standard throttles: http://www.electricscooterparts.com/throttles.html

I am in process of doing this very same thing, using a motor- transaxle to power a wagon.  My motor is 24VDC , 11AMPS & 3300 RPM.  Transaxle ratio is 16:1 as close as I can tell" & wheels are 10 ".   I made adapters for wheels to fit on the 3/4" axles.  Would this set up work using the SPD-24500R controller.  I am looking at walking speed & total weight approx. 300lb.  I am thinking of using a thumb throttle.  Can a thumb throttle be used on this controller since thumb throttle uses a 5K pot & controller uses a hall effect swt.

Hi Kervin,

Our SPD-24500R controller will work perfectly with your 24 Volt 11 Amp transaxle motor. Our 5K thumb throttle will not work with the SPD-24500R controller however we have several other hall effect thumb throttles that will work with it such as our THR-38 and THR-132.

If you decide to use the THR-132 throttle then I can make a wiring diagram showing how they should be connected together, or I could make a kit out the the throttle and controller which would be pre-wired together.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Great, I'm assuming that I can use controller & transaxle together at walking speed without having high current problems.  I forgot to tell you that this wagon will have to run up ramps into an enclosed trailer.

The next question would be what size batteries would I need to run this wagon about 1 to 1.5 hrs total in a day? 

Would I only need two toggle switches, one for power on & off, one for forward & reverse.

Since the wagon's transaxle is geared for a top speed of 6.16 MPH, at a walking speed of 3 MPH the motor will be turning at around 1600 RPM which will not overload the controller when going up ramps. I also do not foresee any problems running the wagon up ramps at even slower speeds since the gear ratio of the transaxle is so low.

For a 1.5 hour ride time I would use two 12V 35Ah batteries to be on the safe side.

The SPD-24500R controller requires only two toggle switches. One for power on and off, and the other for forward and reverse.

Checked on battery chargers but there so many which charger would you recommend using for the 35AH batteries & SPD 24500R controller?  Hopefully this is last question so I can order parts.

For a 24 Volt 35AH battery pack a 24 Volt 5 Amp battery charger is the correct size. 24 Volt battery chargers over 5 Amp can also be used, however it is not recommended to use chargers that are under 5 Amp with a 35AH battery pack.

Here is a link to our 24 Volt 5 Amp battery chargers: http://www.electricscooterparts.com/24vchargers.html#5

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any further questions.

The SPD  24500R has a charge rate connector of 3 amps.  You recommended 24 Volt 5 Amp charger & not to use any charger under 5 Amps.  So my question is, do I bypass controller charge connector & connect charger directly to batteries?

You are correct, when using a 5 Amp battery charger the SPD-24500R controller should be bypassed and the charger port connected directly to the batteries.

Sorry for all the questions but one question leads to another.  Most of the 5 amp chargers have a 3 pin or port connector.  I understand one for positive & one for negative but what is the 3rd one for or do I not need to be concerned about the 3rd one & just cut it off & isolate?  Thanks for all your answers to my questions

This is a question and answer forum, so all questions that you have are always welcome here.

On our battery chargers that have 3 pin or 3 port connectors only two of the pins or ports are used, and one of the pins or ports is not used. I believe the reason manufacturers use 3 terminal battery charger connectors is because they are stronger than 2 terminal connectors due to the extra pin or port which holds the plug into the receptacle. The unused third terminal can be disregarded when making wiring connections to the charger port.

I realize this is over a year old but was hoping you could send me the wiring diagram for your setup.

I have wiring directions for the 24 Volt 500 Watt controller with reverse which details which parts the connectors on the controller goes to. Here is a link to them: http://www.electricscooterparts.com/hookup/SPD-24500R.htm

Hopefully this is what you were looking for or close enough to it. Please let me know if you have any questions.

ELECTRIC MOBILITY - MOTOR 24V DC CIM EM801-003

Login or Signup to post a comment