1-800-908-8082

8am-5pm Pacific Time Monday-Friday

Electric dolly project

Hello,

I am an engineering student and my capstone project is to design and build and electric cart to transport two welding cylinders. We have the cart designed and now we are trying to determine a motor size. Calling manufacturers hasn't gotten me anywhere.

Specs:

~ 600 pounds

walking speed (~3 mph)

15 degree max incline

Can anyone provide guidance ?

I just talked to the technician who built your kit and he said that he remembers including a fuse holder with the kit and also including the circuit breaker but not wiring it to the kit. The circuit breaker should have had wires attached to it that went to the battery pack and the fuse holder was not supposed to be included with the kit. To solve this problem you could cut the fuse holder off of its wires and attach the fuse holder wires to the circuit breaker. Or you could cut the positive wire between the battery pack and controller and install the circuit breaker into it.

Please let us know if you have any questions.
How would we go about adding reverse to the system you sold us?

Sorry for the late reply, I did not see your reply regarding adding reverse until today because it got buried under so many other replies in the forum.

We carry a reverse relay that could be added to the dolly which would require a SPDT switch to operate it.

We also carry a rotary reverse switch that operates independently without a relay.

The benefits of the reverse relay and SPDT toggle switch are that the switch can be mounted away from the contactor so the heavy gauge controller to motor wires do not need to be ran to the location that the switch is in. The switch to relay wires can be a thinner gauge than the motor wires are such as 18 AWG or 20 AWG. The toggle switch is also easier to use and requires less force to switch between forward and reverse than the rotary reverse switch does. The reverse relay also has the benefit over the rotary switch of shorting the motor leads together when the toggle switch is in the off position which acts as a parking brake. The reverse relay has three modes: Forward-Park-Reverse

The benefits of the rotary reverse switch is that it costs less than the reverse relay and toggle switch. However the wires between the motor and controller need to run directly to the rotary switch which can limit the places where it is convenient to mount it. For example if the rotary switch was mounted three feet away from the motor and controller then there would be four quantity of three foot long thick gauge wires running between the motor/controller and rotary switch. The rotary switch is also larger and more difficult to mount than the toggle switch is. The rotary reverse switch has three modes: Forward-Neutral-Reverse.

The rotary reverse switch is our item # SWT-715 sold on this page:
https://electricscooterparts.com/reverse-switches.html

The reverse relay and SPDT toggle switch are parts that we just received and have not had a chance to add to our website yet. However they can be purchased directly from our shopping cart using the following links:
https://cart.electricscooterparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RLY-36R
https://cart.electricscooterparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SWT-97

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Login or Signup to post a comment