This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

iZip 1000 scooter upgrades to go faster?

I was given this scooter from a friend for free as they are moving and don't have room for it. It's got a dead battery and its been sitting for a long time. I know absolutely nothing about these things.

I pulled the battery pack out and it's 3 12V 10AH lead acid batteries in series for 36v. I found some cheap lithium 18650 10s2p 36v 4.5ah battery packs on ebay and replaced the 3 lead acid with 6 of those packs for 27ah of lithium.

I got it running and it works, but I find it to be a little slow (15mph) and I'm looking for upgrades to make it go faster.  I found a few of forum threads talking about upgrading the ezip 1000 to 48v (https://support.electricscooterparts.com/support/discussions/topics/1000085321), but couldn't find any that specifically talk about the izip. I'm honestly not sure what the difference is, but I'm looking for mods to make this go faster. Is there a way to go faster with the stock 36v motor/controller/battery config or is 48V the only way to go? I found a thread talking about going from 36v to 48v with the following:

MOT-481800BLDC: https://cart.electricscooterparts.com/48-volt-1800-watt-brushless-dc-motor

SPD-481800BLDC: https://cart.electricscooterparts.com/48-volt-1500/1600/1800-watt-electric-scooter/moped/bike/go-kart-brushless-dc-motor-speed-controller

I understand if I go 48V, I'd have to break down these battery packs to rewire for 48V, which I'm okay with doing, but I need to know what parts I would need to support a new motor and controller. Would it just be those two parts? I'm really new to this stuff, so please bear with me if I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about, because I don't ;)

The eZip 1000 and IZIP 1000 are the exact same scooters. A 1000 Watt motor is capable of more than 15 MPH so a smaller wheel sprocket could be custom installed to make the scooter go faster. We have seen these type of scooters modified with 80, 65, and 55 tooth wheel sprockets for #25 chain bolted onto a 4-hole freewheel that threads onto the wheel.

We ran some calculations and found the following top speeds for these wheel sprockets:
  • 90 tooth = 15 MPH (Stock gearing and top speed for IZIP & eZip 1000 scooters.)
  • 80 tooth = 16.8 MPH (A little faster than stock gearing and a little slower up inclines.)
  • 65 tooth = 20.7 MPH (OK for flat terrain and gentle inclines.)
  • 55 tooth = 24.5 MPH (Unless the rider is lightweight then OK for use on flat terrain only and will lug going up inclines which may overheat and damage the motor.)

The MOT-4818000BLDC motor is 5.3" long so it would stick off the side of the scooter considerably more than the original motor does. It would work as a replacement though if you don't mind keeping the scooter fairly vertical when making right-hand turns which is possible by shifting your body weight instead of leaning the scooter.

If you switch to 48 Volts, the controller and motor should be just about the only parts needed other than a 48 Volt battery charger. The original throttle is compatible with the 48 Volt controller. The original power switch would be just about at its limit though and might need to be upgraded if it fails.
Changing a sprocket seems like the better way to go. Do you sell those parts in the store? Would having a different sprocket make acceleration slower? Would it also make climbing hills more difficult? Thanks for the quick and detailed reply!.

The higher the gearing (larger wheel sprocket) the slower the acceleration will be and less torque will be available for hill climbing.

We sell the sprockets, freewheel, and mounting bolts. 

The sprocket item numbers are: SPR-2555, SPR-2565S, and SPR-2580

The freewheel item number is: FWM-125

The mounting hardware item number is: HDW-100

All of these parts are available on this page: https://www.electricscooterparts.com/sprockets25chain-wheel.html

After installing these parts the alignment between the new wheel sprocket and the motor sprocket may be offset. Flat washers can be used as shims between the freewheel and sprocket to bring the wheel sprocket into alignment with the motor sprocket.

Thanks. I've also heard about changing the motor gear to something else. I looked on your motor section and you sell the motor with 11 or 15 teeth. I'm not sure what sprocket my motor has. I found someone on youtube that is using a 13t on the motor. Would that be something you'd suggestion. And if so, would the part SPR-2513P be correct?

The motor should have an 11 tooth sprocket on it which could be replaced with a 12 tooth sprocket item # SPR-2512P or a 13 tooth sprocket item # SPR-2513P. The 15 tooth freewheel motor sprocket is not interchangeable with the 11 tooth sprocket due to different motor shaft sizes between motors that have the 11 and 15 tooth sprockets. The speeds or these different motor sprockets are shown below.
  • 11 tooth = 15 MPH
  • 12 tooth = 16.3 MPH
  • 13 tooth = 17.7 MPH

As you can see the top speed cannot be changed very much by increasing the motor sprocket size, however, if you are only looking for a one or two MPH increase in top speed then they will work great for that.

These sprockets are available on this page: https://electricscooterparts.com/sprockets25chain-motor.html#sprockets-that-attach-with-roll-pins

Are these parts direct swap or are there other modifications that I would need to do? Also, if you did a 13 tooth motor sprocket with a 65 tooth wheel sprocket, could it go even faster?

The motor sprockets are a direct swap with no modifications.

The wheel sprocket and freewheel may require modification of sprocket alignment with flat washers. The freewheel will thread directly onto the rim with no modifications though.

A 13 tooth motor and 65 tooth wheel sprocket combination has a higher gear ratio than an 11 tooth motor and 65 tooth wheel sprocket combination so it would provide a faster top speed.

Login or Signup to post a comment