This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

Herky, jerky motion

What causes an electric scooter to do "herky, jerky" motion while pulling a load uphill?  Can any adjustments be made?  The bike is a Schwinn 350.

Usually this would be caused by a loose wire connection, however since the problem is only happening when going uphill and pulling a load I would tend to rule out that as being the problem.

To me it sounds like maybe due to the high load on the battery pack its Voltage is dropping under the cut-off rating for the controller and the controller is momentarily shutting down, then restarting when the battery packs Voltage regains after the load is removed from it.

There are no adjustments that can be made to correct this problem. If the battery pack is the part causing the problem then replacing it would be the only way to fix the problem.

Most battery packs have a lifespan of around 2-3 years if properly maintained. If the battery pack is older than 3 years or has gone for extended periods of time without being recharged then that would point towards the battery pack being the issue. If the scooter has a battery gauge on the throttle you may be able to see the battery packs Voltage dropping when going uphill to confirm if the battery pack is causing the problem.

Wow!  Thanks for the quick response.  You appear to "hit the nail on the head."  The herky, jerky is obviously from a voltage drop under load.  I just replaced both batteries, thanks to Electric Scooter Parts, so I know that's not the problem.  I weigh 195 so I'm sure the strains under the load while going uphill.  It's an annoyance I will live with for now.  Thanks again.  You guys sure know your stuff!

Login or Signup to post a comment