This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

Installed 48V 1500W Controller: Item # SPD-48150 in a 36V 1000W Ezip

into a Ezip 1000 upgraded to 48V.  The motor is 1000W at 36V, 1440W at 48V 

I had burned up two LB37 controllers before.  This new controller seems to be working but differently.  I have a few questions:

1. It's not silent.  The motor makes variable speed drive noises.  Is this normal?

2. The scooter does not accelerate as quickly as it did with the LB37.  Could this be due to the LB37 being more significantly overloaded? It's rated at only 750W.

3.  This new controller is also overloaded slightly but it has an overcurrent protection.  Should this protect it form damage?

4.  This new controller does not have brake on throttle cut.  Is there a clever way to do this?

Thanks!

I have heard of motors making mechanical noise when used with the SPD-481500 controller a couple of time before, but not with every one that we sell. So I think that the noise is normal only when used with certain motors. The SPD-481500 most likely has a slower pulse width speed than other controllers which run silently have. This pulse width noise should not harm the motor or any other components of the scooter. When pulse width modulation motor controllers were first made many years ago they all made motor noises due to their slow pulse widths, however it caused no damage to the motors.

Regarding slower acceleration with the new controller that is most likely caused by a slower ramp up time that is programmed into the controller by its designer. Both the LB37 and SPD-481500 are made by the same factory so their power specifications should be equivalent as per the Watts that they are rated for. I do not think that the LB37 would provide faster acceleration than the SPD-481500 due to it being overloaded because its output Amps are limited regardless of how much loading it has.

Slightly overloading the new controller may or may not damage it depending on how hot it gets during use. The new controller will limit the output current to around its rated value, but it does not have an overheat shutoff circuit and if used at its full power output for longer than its heat-sinking ability can handle then it will overheat and burn out. The best thing to do is keep an eye on the controller's external temperature while it is being test run to make sure that it is not getting too hot. If it is getting too hot then the rider will need to use a little less throttle to prevent it from overheating.

The SPD-481500 controller does not have a brake cut off circuit and there is no way that I know of to attach a brake switch to it.

After the scooter accelerates to full speed do you notice any more or less hill climbing power with the new controller?

Login or Signup to post a comment