This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?
Answered

Speed controller, Motor

I have a problem with my scooter when I connect the positive and negative line from the speed controller to the motor, the positive voltage returns by the black negative cable line, I think it was a short circuit in the speed controller .. who can help me ?

Best Answer

It is normal for the positive electrons to enter the motor's positive wire and exit the motors negative wire. The motor is basically an electromagnet with a path for electrons to flow freely between its positive and negative power leads.

What type of problem is the scooter having? Does it blow fuses or the circuit breaker when you turn it on?

Answer

It is normal for the positive electrons to enter the motor's positive wire and exit the motors negative wire. The motor is basically an electromagnet with a path for electrons to flow freely between its positive and negative power leads.

What type of problem is the scooter having? Does it blow fuses or the circuit breaker when you turn it on?

No blow fuse, my main problem is that it does not run when I turn the throttle ... ok, I understand that you said,,,, that means the motor scooter works well, I connected directly to the battery and works ,,,, then the problem is in the speed controller..No voltage in the black and white plug 5 wire leaving the speed controller and up to throttle .. ,, What do you think? My scooter is SCHWINN S 350

To diagnose the problem I would start by disconnecting the brake lever switch from the controller, if the scooter has a brake lever with a switch. And then checking to see if the scooter runs. If the scooters brake lever does not have a switch then this step can be disregarded.

Next I would unplug the wiring harness from the controller and test for Voltage at the speed controller connector on the harness. This will indicate if the power switch and fuse are good.

If that does not help then the next step is would take is to test the Voltage of the battery pack with the scooter on and the throttle fully engaged. If the battery pack Voltage is under 22 Volts with the power switch on and throttle engaged then the battery pack is not able to keep its Voltage level high enough under load and will need to be replaced. If the battery pack is under 22 Volts under load then the controller will automatically turn off the motor. The battery pack Voltage may be higher when the scooter is off then when it is on so it important to test its Voltage with the scooter on and throttle engaged.

If bypassing the brake lever switch does not help, and there is Voltage getting to the controller from the wiring harness, and the battery pack Voltage is over 22 Volts under load, then that indicates that the controller or throttle might be faulty.

Please let us know how it goes.

Ok,, I did everything you said....: 1-The scooter don't have brake switch 2-The power switch is good. 3-The battery pack is new, I received a week ago have 25.3 volts. 4-All the wiring harness from the controller have small voltage,,including red positive going to the motor (25.3 V),,except the negative going to start the motor. 5-Voltage test with the scooter on and throttle endaged unchanged,, is the same 25.3 volts. Now my suspicion is the throttle no good,, What do you think?

Those test results indicate that either the controller or throttle may be faulty.

To determine which one of these parts is faulty the throttle would need to be tested, or both the throttle and controller could be replaced in lieu of testing the throttle.

I am not sure which throttle your scooter has, it could be a 3-wire, 5-wire, or 6-wire. If you want to test the throttle and are not sure which wires are for the +5V input, ground, and 1-4V output then let me know which throttle the scooter has and I will look up which wires on it need to be tested on it.

Here is a link to our throttle testing guide: http://www.electricscooterparts.com/throttletestingguide.html

Ok,,I did everything you recommend, my scooter throttle is 6 wire,,the throttle test results output 1 - 4V, that means is good ... Check pictures...
That voltage output 9.31V from speed controller

That test result indicates that the throttle is good, which points towards the controller being faulty.

The exact same controller that is in the photos is no longer available however we have other Currie controller which can replace it as long as the battery pack and motor wires coming out of the controller do not need to be as long as the original controller has. The battery pack and motor wires on our controllers are around 4 inches long. Also our Currie controllers do not have the same throttle plugs as the existing controller does. We have a Currie controller for a three wire throttle which could be used however then the indicator lights on the throttle would no longer work. We also have a five wire Currie controller that could be paired with a new five wire Currie throttle which would have working indicator lights.

Here are our Currie controllers:

24 Volt
500 Watt

Currie 24V 500W Electric Scooter Speed Controller (For 5 Wire Throttle)
Fits eZip, IZIP, Schwinn, and Mongoose electric scooters that have a 5 connectors and a 5 wire throttle.
Item # SPD-SD500
Wiring Directions
$56.95

24 Volt
500 Watt

Currie 24V 500W Electric Scooter Speed Controller (For 6 Wire Throttle)
Fits eZip, IZIP, Schwinn, and Mongoose electric scooters that have 4 or 5 connectors and a 6 wire throttle.
Item # SPD-SD500-6
Wiring Directions
$59.95

24 Volt
600 Watt

Currie 24V 600W Electric Scooter Speed Controller (For 3 Wire Throttle)
Fits Currie, eZip, IZIP, Schwinn and Mongoose electric scooters that have 5 connectors and a 3 wire throttle.
Item # SPD-SD600
Wiring Directions
$64.95

ok, I understand all ,, in this case decide by the controller 3-wire throttle ,,,, thanks for your help.

That sounds like a good choice. Currie installed male connectors on some of their 3 wire throttles and female connectors on others. I notice that your throttle has a male connector and our controller for 3 wire throttles has a male connector also. We have an adapter which allows your throttle to be plugged into our controller which is our item # CTE-ADAPTER1. This throttle adapter is available on this page: http://www.electricscooterparts.com/throttle-adapters.html

Here is a photo of it.

CTE-ADAPTER1

Ok, ,yes I see that too,, One last question do you know what output voltage LED indicator 6 wire harness in the next picture?,, just in case...

I just tested one of our Currie controllers for a 6 wire throttle and the output Voltage of the LED indicator wires is 5 Volts.

Ok,,,,thank you very much,,,

Login or Signup to post a comment