This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

PB SM804SA Replacing Batteries

My grandfather recently gave me a a BladeZ XTRs ehich did not have batteries so I went to get what he told me to get. Now that i have it. I do not know how to connect it to the main board. I have the cables and a circut breaker. I have tried contacting the company that made the scooter but they weren't clarifying. The photo is the board of the scooter
IMG1246.JPG
(1.9 MB)
Most BladeZ XTR electric scooter main board controllers have a thick red and thick black wire coming out of them that go to the batteries.

Can you see any place on the main board that thick wires were cut off of, or any unused 1/4" wide spade terminals protruding from the board that the battery pack wires may have been plugged into?
Theres two. I tried following the photo and plugging the wires to those two opens and then plugging the wires to the batteries. I tried it twice and all it did was burn or solder? The metal parts.
IMG1256.JPG
(28.3 KB)
IMG1255.JPG
(184 KB)

I remember that some of the BladeZ controller boards have B+ and B- printed next to the spade connector terminals which go to the battery pack along with M+ and M- next to the terminals which go to the motor. If the controller board has these marking on it then it would be good to confirm that the motor wires are plugged into the M+ and M- terminals. The B+ goes to the positive battery pack lead and the B- goes to the negative battery pack lead.

If the battery pack is wired to the correct terminals on the main board then there should be a strong spark when making the final battery pack connection to the board, but after the big spark then the the wires should not get hot or start to melt any solder or show any signs of trouble. If after making the battery pack to control board connection anything starts to get hot or melt, or the circuit breaker trips, then the controller is damaged and will need to be replaced with an aftermarket replacement controller.

Could it have been damaged by wiring the batteries to the board without a circuit breaker? Can you give me a specific way of wiring in terms of what to plug in first? For example: postive on board to positive on battery 1. Negative on battery 2. + on battery 2 to circuit breaker. Circuit breaker to - on battery 1

Wiring the battery pack to the board without a circuit breaker probably would not damage the board. If the battery pack was accidentally wired in reverse polarity to the board the circuit breaker would react too slowly and would not save the board and would only save the wiring harness from overheating.

The battery pack to control board wiring can be connected in any sequence however the way I like to connect the wires is to the main board first, and then to the battery pack last. I connect the circuit breaker between the two batteries first and the wires going to the control board after that. I always start with connecting the negative wire to the battery pack, and then make the positive wire to the battery pack the final connection. That is just the way I do it though and it really does not matter if the wires are connected to the battery pack with the positive wire first and negative wire last.

https://youtu.be/0YgsWbWsfGk So I followed what you said and the turned it on and then the circuit breaker started clicking? Or making sparks? Its on the youtube video link. I turned it off then until plugged all of the cables and some of the terminals were messed as seen on the picture
IMG1271.JPG
(2.36 MB)

A good controller would not draw enough power from the battery pack to trip the circuit breaker like that. That test confirms that the main controller board is faulty and needs to be replaced.

The push-on connector that goes to the battery terminal which melted was not making good contact with the battery terminal which caused sparking inside of the terminal. I would replace that terminal with a new one and clean up the melted battery terminal with a file before reconnecting the new connector to the battery, or if you have soldering equipment then you may want to solder the wire onto the battery if you feel that the battery terminal has lost too much metal to make good contact with the new connector. Most scooter manufacturers solder the wires onto the batteries to avoid the possibility of a bad connection and melting the battery or wiring harness terminals.

Here is a photo of a battery pack that we make with the wires soldered onto it.

iyDWZjp0hk6mZyRS_JanbZu9H0hBO6wf-Q.jpg

After we solder the wires onto the batteries then we cover the wires and terminals with heat shrink tubing and apply hot melt glue over everything to prevent short circuiting of the terminals.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

So i have to get a new controller now. The batteries and the circuit breaker are still fine? Also all of the other parts like breaks and throttle?
We can not determine the condition of the batteries, throttle, brakes or other parts online. We would need to have the scooter in our shop in order to test these parts and determine what their condition is.

If the batteries were good before connecting them to the controller then performing that test would not have damaged them, except for of course the terminal on the battery that the loose connector was plugged into. The damaged terminal does not mean that the battery can no longer be used though as it is just a terminal and does not affect the inner workings of the battery.

The circuit breaker reacted normally during your test so it looks like it is working.

If you decide to custom install a new controller on the scooter then I would recommend to purchase a new throttle along with it so that the controller and throttle will be compatible with each other.
If i do not custom install a new one, i would just replace it with the same controlller right? If not Can you please recommend me on what to replace the controller that i have with. Or let me know what i should do. I believe the controllers model is xk-022c
As far as I know original controllers for the BladeZ XTR scooter have been discontinued and all parts stores have sold out of them. So custom installing an aftermarket controller is the only way that I know of to replace the controller. The XK-022C controller is our item # SPD-SD500 which for BladeZ scooters is an aftermarket controller that requires custom installation.

It would be easier to install one of our item # SPD-24500B controller than our SPD-SD500 (XK-022C) controller because the scooter's original power switch could then be used, while if the XK-022C controller was used a heavy duty 4-terminal power switch would need to be used which is much larger and more complicated to wire than the scooter's original power switch is.

We could make adapters for the SPD-24500B controller so that every plug which goes to the original controller would plug into it without having to perform any custom wiring. Then the SPD-24500B controller would be plug-and-play and would not require custom installation. This would require for us to have detailed photos of all the connectors and parts that plug into the original controller though.

Login or Signup to post a comment