This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?
Answered

Speed controller

I have a 6 pin speed controller and a 3 pin throttle is there a way to convert one to the other?

Best Answer
Here are the wiring directions:

The wires could be cut and spliced however that is not a very good way of attaching a throttle to a controller. We recommend using connectors instead.

The connector that attaches to Currie controllers with 6 wire throttle connectors is our item # CNX-66.

The connector that attaches to 3 wire Currie throttles is our item # CNX-52.

We could also custom make an adapter to convert the 3 wire throttle to a controller with 6 wire throttle connector. There are four different 3 wire throttle plug type and wiring possibilities for Currie electric scooters though, so the correct adapter would need to be chosen. Here are the four different adapter types:

We sell these adapters for $5.95. If you would like to order one then please let me know which version you need and I will reply with a link to purchase it from.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

1 person has this question
Chances are that they would however we would need more details on the controller in order to say with certainty if they will work with each other.

Do you know what model scooter the controller is out of or for, or have wiring directions for it? Or have a photo of the controller's throttle connector?
It is out of a currie gt350. I just ordered the speed control for my boss and it was the wrong one,he opened it and now can't return it.
Yes a 3 wire throttle can be connected to a Currie controller with 6 wire throttle connector. Let me look around for the wiring directions for that and I will reply again in a few minutes.
Answer
Here are the wiring directions:

The wires could be cut and spliced however that is not a very good way of attaching a throttle to a controller. We recommend using connectors instead.

The connector that attaches to Currie controllers with 6 wire throttle connectors is our item # CNX-66.

The connector that attaches to 3 wire Currie throttles is our item # CNX-52.

We could also custom make an adapter to convert the 3 wire throttle to a controller with 6 wire throttle connector. There are four different 3 wire throttle plug type and wiring possibilities for Currie electric scooters though, so the correct adapter would need to be chosen. Here are the four different adapter types:

We sell these adapters for $5.95. If you would like to order one then please let me know which version you need and I will reply with a link to purchase it from.

Ok. Thank you very much for your help and time. I'll talk with the boss tomorrow and see what he wants to do

Could you recommend a 36v controller for this same scooter (gt 350)? I burned out a fet on my overvolted 24v controller :(

Mosfet.jpg
(3.2 MB)
For Currie (GT, Mongoose, Schwinn, eZip, and IZIP) electric scooters our SPD-SD1000 is a 36 Volt 1000 Watt controller with 5-wire throttle connector, and SPD-SD1000-6 has a 6-wire throttle connector. They are both sold on this page: https://electricscooterparts.com/speedcontrollers36volt.html

Would changing to this speed controller from the 24v stock one provide any performance difference?
I have never tried this modification before so I do not know if changing from the original 24 Volt controller to a SD1000 series 36 Volt controller would provide more power to the motor. I do know that it would be more reliable though because the SD1000 controllers are designed to run at 36 Volts.

Login or Signup to post a comment