This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?
Answered

800w battery pack leaking??

So I popped the battery case, which enclosed 3 blue battery boxes... And quite a bit of clear liquid immediately started to pour out. The batteries are covered in a thick blue plastic, I'm assuming they are the originals. What was this liquid?? The skateboard has been kept in the garage the entire time! Is this fluid similar to a car battery??

Best Answer
Most electric skateboards are made from the same type of parts that electric scooters are so just about anything that you read regarding electric scooters will apply to them.

The batteries in your attached photo have overheated and their plastic cases have melted and deformed. This is what caused them to leak. Once batteries have overheated like that they are no good and will need to be replaced.

Storing the skateboard for 12 to 15 months is almost certainly what caused this problem because these type of batteries need to be recharged at a minimum of every 30 days. If they are not recharged every 30 days then their plates will oxidize which can cause them to not take a charge or overheat when they are being recharged as those batteries did.

As long as the electric skateboard worked when it was put into storage then it should work again once a new set of batteries are installed.

Replacement batteries are available and those batteries in the photo are the 12 Volt 12Ah size. We sell them in a 12 Volt 12Ah Version and also in a 12 Volt 15Ah Version. The 15Ah batteries only cost a few dollars more per battery and will provide a 20% longer ride time than the 12Ah batteries will. Both the 12Ah and 15Ah batteries are the exact same size and can be recharged with the same battery charger.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

The battery fluid is basically the same as a car battery would have in it. It is a fairly strong acid. You would not want to touch it or get any on you. We recommend to neutralize it by sprinkling baking soda on it if you have any and then clean it up with paper towels wearing rubber gloves. If you do not have baking soda then it is okay clean it up without it. After cleanup the garage floor should be washed with soap and water to remove what the paper towels could not get.

I did clean it up w baking soda, because I was thinking what you confirmed. (Thank you!) Now...Why did they leak?? I rode that board 3x total...I would think the batteries must be faulty? Or did I charge them too long? Store them too long, without use? (12 to 15 months, because it stopped working) Would it be fairly safe to assume, that I could buy replacement batteries, and have the board work? What a disappointment...whether my fault, or a manufacturer's defect. Any suggestions? I've Googled, and Googled...and found Zilch on AutoSkate Electric Boards. I have learned all I have, from reading forums on scooters...
Answer
Most electric skateboards are made from the same type of parts that electric scooters are so just about anything that you read regarding electric scooters will apply to them.

The batteries in your attached photo have overheated and their plastic cases have melted and deformed. This is what caused them to leak. Once batteries have overheated like that they are no good and will need to be replaced.

Storing the skateboard for 12 to 15 months is almost certainly what caused this problem because these type of batteries need to be recharged at a minimum of every 30 days. If they are not recharged every 30 days then their plates will oxidize which can cause them to not take a charge or overheat when they are being recharged as those batteries did.

As long as the electric skateboard worked when it was put into storage then it should work again once a new set of batteries are installed.

Replacement batteries are available and those batteries in the photo are the 12 Volt 12Ah size. We sell them in a 12 Volt 12Ah Version and also in a 12 Volt 15Ah Version. The 15Ah batteries only cost a few dollars more per battery and will provide a 20% longer ride time than the 12Ah batteries will. Both the 12Ah and 15Ah batteries are the exact same size and can be recharged with the same battery charger.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you so much, for your informative reply!! Without any information, I simply didn't know any of that. (We received zero Information in the box. Just the board, and remote.) I'll get the new batteries, and we'll be on our way!! THANK YOU!!!
The battery fluid is basically the same as a car battery.

Login or Signup to post a comment