This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

Razor Ground Force Drifter Electric Go-Kart not working

Hello,

Can you please tell me why my go-kart will not run?

I only hear a click when pushing down on the throttle.

My neighbor has a Crazy Kart with the same battery connector as mine.

To troubleshoot we connected his battery wire connector (male end) into my go-karts battery connector (female end) and the wheels turned when pressing the throttle.

Thinking I had a bad battery, I bought a new set and fully charged them, but I still have the same issue with only hearing a click when pressing the throttle.

1 person has this question

To easily troubleshoot this problem we recommend to install the battery pack from your neighbors Ground Force Drifter again and see if it runs with it installed. If it runs with your neighbors battery pack installed however it does not run and only clicks with the new battery pack installed then that points towards the new battery pack being defective.

We would normally recommend testing the Voltage of the battery pack when it is under load however since you have access to a good battery pack that would be the easiest way to troubleshoot the problem.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Hello,

I got my go kart to start go briefly after pulling the brakes lever a few times.

However, do the same trick doesn't work anymore.

I unplugged the brakes from the controller and still won't go.

Any idea's?

Some of the newest Razor versions have normally closed brake switches so you may want to try bridging the controller's brake switch wires together to see if that helps. A 3/4" section of a small paper clip or other thin gauge wire that is bent into a U-shape and pushed into the controller's brake switch connector works well for this.

hello,

if I do this and the go-kart runs, does that mean the controller or the brake lever need to be replaced?

If bridging the controller's brake switch wires together makes the go kart work then the brake lever needs to be replaced.

Hello,

Bridging the brake switch wires together on the controller did not make the go-kart go.

Does that tell you where and what the problem is?

That test result only indicates that the brake switch is not causing the problem. Have you had a chance to reinstall your neighbors Ground Force Drifter battery pack to see if it still works with it?
Yes. My batteries work on his. No matter what battery I use on mine, it doesn't go.
Since you can hear a click in the controller when the throttle is pressed that indicates that the wiring harness, fuse, and power switch are good. You performed the brake lever test so the brake lever is proven to be good. The battery pack has been installed in another Ground Force Drifter and works in it so it is proven to be good.

That leaves the motor, controller, and throttle as the remaining parts to test.

The motor can be tested by unplugging it from the controller and wiring it directly to the battery pack or to a 12 volt automotive battery charger to see if it runs. If the motor runs during this test then that points towards the controller or throttle being faulty. If the motor does not run during this test then it is faulty.

If the motor tests good then the next test would be of the throttle and controller.

The throttle and controller testing procedure is a little different depending if the Ground Force Drifter has a 4-wire or 6-wire throttle. Please see attached throttle and controller testing procedures for 4-wire and 6-wire throttles.

Please let us know how it goes and if you have any questions.

pdf
pdf
thanks everything above was a great help. I need a controller TYD4k. not the 6k. there are 2 controller you sell but I could not tell which was the TYD4K version. the raz-ekit 1 or the raz-controller 1. any help would be great

The HB2430-TYD4K controller has been discontinued and is no longer available. When it needs to be replaced then both the HB2430-TYD4K controller and the 4-wire throttle need to be replaced with a Speed Controller and Throttle Kit for Razor® Ground Force Drifter Electric Go-Kart Version 1+ which is our item # RAZ-EKIT1. This kit is available on our Razor® Ground Force Drifter Electric Go-Kart Parts page.

I am too having the same issue. I have a ground force drifter that stopped working suddenly, and me disobeying the owners manual and actually doing stunt driving (aka drifting) I have used it in the cold and have run through a few small snow piles, but nothing to slow it down enough to stop it. However, when it warmed up and I started riding it more, I was on a short journey on a bike path and it suddenly cut out. I was drifting it during this ride. I let it sit for a few minutes and it sprung back to life. Then I proceeded to ride back home and it cut out 2 more times before I got back. after that I decided it might have fixed itself and took it back to the path to redeem itself, but low and behold I rode for less than two minutes on the path and it died. However, this time it did not come back to life. I got it back home via pulling it and got back home and it still didn't have anything. at the least it would do was light up the red 24 power light, and sometimes light up the low power light and the red 24 power light. After I let it sit for a few days I turned it back on and it took it about 30 second for the red light to slowly fade back on. when I did drift it back then however, sometimes id pull the brake to lock up the tires to enter a drift. I noticed that sometimes I if held the brake too long it would cut power to the motor, and id press the accelerator down slowly 3 times and it would keep going, the 24 light was lit and the green one was lit as well.I just did some experimenting with the battery and tested it.

-Switch not turned on= 23.7 volts

-switch on- 3.7 - 4.2 volts

I tested from both the plug side going to the controller (I think that's what you call that box with the venting louvers on the side) and the side from the battery.

I also had laying around a 36 volt battery pack with 12 volts at each battery, which all are linked.

This battery had been sitting for a year and when I last had it charged it was at 32 volts. However, it now went down to 11.2. also, this batter has the negative and positive wires spliced, so I had to manually place each wire.

side coming from the battery pack

-switch not on= 11.2

-switch on=11.1 to 11.2

I had the same results coming from the other side of the plug connector.

however, it still did the same thing with the lights. but after a bit the yellow low light came back on.

but I did wire the 36 volt pack (really 11 volts) to the motor directly and the motor didn't do anything, not even a click.

So I don't know what to do at this point.

Hi Greg, the Voltage test results of the 24 Volt battery pack indicate that it is worn out, old, or faulty and needs to be replaced. That battery pack should be around 27 Volts with the switch off, 27 Volts with the switch on, and 25-26 Volts with the switch on and throttle fully pressed with a heavy load on the motor. 

The Ground Force Drifter's controller has a low-Voltage cutoff (LVC) circuit that turns the motor off when it detects that the battery pack Voltage is under 23 Volts. This LVC circuit protects the battery pack from being overly discharged to help prolong its lifespan. 

The 36 Volt battery pack that is at 11 Volts which was used to test the motor is also worn out, old, or faulty so its Voltage may have dropped down to around zero Volts when connected to the motor which may have caused the motor not to run. 

You have tested the battery pack with the power switch on and its Voltage dropped under 23 Volts so that confirms that it needs to be replaced. 

Thank you, i was just gonna go buy a new battery but didnt want to go through with it without it being heard about from someone who has more expirience with this than i do.

Login or Signup to post a comment