This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

My E-Scooter looks like a FREEDOM model

OK, a friend gave this electric scooter because it has been sitting for what he says was about 20 years but I think maybe 10 or so. Before I have to go take photos, let me tell you what I found and for starters if that is ok or not.  I found two 12 volt batteries in the battery compartment ## 58A GPS-12-12-F2. and wired for 24 volts. I removed them big batteries that filled the battery tray perfectly and put them on a .5 amp trickle charger and one is almost 13 volts now and the other a little over 10 volts. I also found a plastic bag in the trunk with three heavy duty wires that were un-soldered and removed for some reason. Maybe a voltage conversion??

BUT WAIT.... The motor says 36V and I think the electronic controller says 36 volts....... What is with two 12 volt batteries then?? The wires to the EC look like a cobweb but all appear to be plugged in. I wired the two batteries in parallel ( 23 volts worth)  and turned on the key and got a RED LED in the center of the two electronic gauges. Turn signal flasher beeped but no turn lights. No motor power and didn't know if there was a trick to it. BUT, I had a car battery and I added it to give me a total of 33.5 volts by my multi-meter. I turned on the key, the turn signal was crisp and well lit. No horn and LED dimmed so that was a decent sign I guess,  Again no throttle response. I figured 33.5 volts should do the trick. I am going to make sure all wires are well connected after all those years but this scooter looks like new. The two 12 v. batteries and the 36 volt motor confuse me though.

My friend don't remember who worked on it and after all, he said it sat for 20 years and he forgot. I believe if a motor says 36 volts, you use 36 volts of batteries right?? I will return tomorrow with photos of what I have, etc. I guess Sunshine Scooters bought a fleet of these and had their own custom  floor board mats made for it. Anyway, I know I didn't give you much but at least we can figure out a voltage solution and what batteries it should have. It appears the lights etc. are 36 volts. Do I purchase 36 volts in batteries before proceeding? Thanks, Scott

1 person has this question
Well if i was you i would go buy the 36v batterys.My question is what wires go where because all my wires are all disconnected?My scooter is a Freedom sit down scooter.Model#644 36v.
Hi Scott, if the scooter has a 36 Volt controller and motor then it is designed for a 36 Volt battery pack.

The controller has a low-Voltage cutoff circuit that does not allow the motor to run when the Voltage is at 32 Volts or less.

The three 12 Volt batteries may have recharged to 33.5 Volts however since they were old they most likely dropped a significant number of Volts if the load of the motor was applied to them which could have caused the motor to never run.

To diagnose the condition of the 36 Volt battery pack check its Voltage when the power or key switch is on and the throttle is fully engaged. If during this test the battery pack Voltage drops under 33 Volts then it is not in good enough condition to test run the scooter with.

Since two of the 12 Volt batteries in the pack have been sitting for 10 or 20 years they are almost certainly sulfated from old age and their Voltage is significantly dropping under load.

Please let us know how it goes.
Hi tisamsimono.th, there are no wiring diagrams available that we know of for Freedom electric scooters so we do not have one to post for the scooter. We may be able to help if you could attach photos of the wires and controller though.

Tisamsimono.th : I suspect all wire connectors are individualized so you cannot plug one set or wires where it should be plugged.. I don't have a schematic either but IF you need a photo of something, let me know. Thanks.

JPG

I believe I may take your advice that I read on another question post and purchase a 1000 watt 36 volt motor (chain driven). 350 watts don't seem like what I need at 6' 4" and 225 lbs. for endurance.  What motor and batteries do you suggest. My battery compartment measures 4" wide by 12 1/2" long. Thank-You. Scott

Also, I don't know anything about that Electronic Controller I have or I believe they are similar to the ESC controllers in radio controlled vehicles and I believe they can get burned up by too much power. Maybe I need a new one and will my wires all plug into a new one?

Hi Scott, a 36V 1000W motor requires a minimum battery size of 15Ah which are 6" long x 3-7/8" wide x 3-3/4" high. Three 12V 15Ah batteries would be needed to make the 36V battery pack and only two 15Ah batteries could fit in a 4" x 12-1/2" battery compartment so one of the batteries would have to go on top of the footplate or somewhere else.

A 36V 750W motor requires a minimum battery size of 10Ah (5-7/8" long x 2-1/2" wide x 4-5/16" high), and a 36V 500W motor requires a minimum battery size of 8Ah (6" long x 2-1/2" wide x 3-3/4" high). Even with an 8Ah or 10Ah battery pack only two of the batteries would fit in the 4" x 12-1/2" battery compartment so one of them would have to go somewhere else.

That scooter must have had a single 36V battery in it when it was new which is the reason that three 12V batteries (larger than 5Ah) are not fitting in the battery tray.

Three 5Ah batteries would fit in the battery tray, however, 5Ah batteries are only suitable for 350W and smaller motors.

The MOT-361000B 36V 1000W motor would work, however, it is longer than the original 350W motor so a hole would need to be cut in the plastic body of the scooter for the back of it to stick through. It would probably stick out of the body only an inch or two.

You could also use a 36V 500W or 36V 750W motor which would still have a lot of power and provide good speed but would draw less power from the batteries so the range would be longer. The 36V 500W and 36V 750W motors are an inch narrower than the 36V 1000W motor so they would stick out of the scooter's body less than the 1000W motor would.

When a more powerful motor is installed then a more powerful controller will need to be installed along with it. The controller should be the same Watts as the motor or a little higher if one with the same Watts is not available.

Our controllers have wiring pinout directions so you will know what parts to attach to what wires on the controller. You will just track the wires to their parts so you know where the wires go on the scooter. A few of the connectors may not be the same in which case new connectors that we sell could be installed on the wires or the wires could be cut and spliced.

Here is an example of our controller wiring directions so you can see what they look like to get a feel for how to connect a controller to the scooter: https://electricscooterparts.com/hookup/SPD-361000B.htm

If any of the wire connectors on the scooter need to be changed we sell matching connectors for the controller on this page: https://electricscooterparts.com/whitewiringconnectors.html

You may want to consider installing a 24 Volt motor and controller because then the battery pack could consist of two 12V 15Ah batteries which would fit in the battery tray. We have a 24 Volt 500 Watt motor with a mounting base which is our item # MOT-24500X2500B. This motor could provide speeds of up to 20 MPH on flat ground.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank-You so much for the information. I did receive a ziploc bag w/ my scooter with apparently two toasted fuses and three wires that were un-soldered and seemed to be 10 gauge maybe and I'm sure from the battery set-up. You are more familiar with what (3) un-soldered wires means in the way of how many batteries were used. My guess is originally 3 batteries maybe?  After taking the photo now and looking at them, my guess IS two batteries because there is ONE wire with solder at each end which makes me think that is where the two batteries were wired in series. The other two only had solder at one end which makes me thing they were cut and spliced. I am thinking someone added the 36 volt motor and attempted to run it off 24 volts. 

A friend suggested that I take a 12 volt battery, disconnect the 36v motor from the harness and use the 12 volts to test the motor to see if it even runs. He said 12 v will be enough to know if it is still good.

A friend suggested I buy an ESC and throttle kit for 36 volts. I can mount two 12 volt batteries in the battery compartment and I don't mind mounting one 12 volt battery in the trunk as it won't be used anyway. All I would need to do is run on wire for the series connection and one wire for the lead connection at the ESC down the seat post, plug the throttle into it and go. I won't need the lights or battery gauge on the handle bar console. Do you have this ESC throttle kit for the 36v set-up or is voltage a mute discussion when buying the ESC / throttle kit? Thanks for all your help. 

My gmail is tisamsimono.th@gmail.com thank you

Login or Signup to post a comment