This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

Do I need a motor controller if I want to install a throttle?

Hello,

I have an old Bladez Ion 350, which most of the electronics are rusted out or are otherwise damaged. I've got 2 replacement 12V batteries, a charger, and the original motor.

I want to buy a full twist throttle but don't know how that would hook up to the rest of the circuit (I have to redo wiring and connections, so nothing is currently connected). Do I need a motor controller if I want to use a throttle or how do I integrate a throttle into the circuit with the pieces that I already have?

Can anyone point me in the right direction or help me out?

A throttle cannot be used by itself and needs to be used in conjunction with a controller. 

Presuming that the Bladez Ion 350 electric scooter has a 350 Watt motor due to its model number then a 24 Volt 350 Watt controller such as our item # SPD-24350B would be compatible with it.

Any of our standard throttles without power meter, or standard throttles with 24 Volt power meter could be used with the SPD-24350B controller. A throttle with 24 Volt power meter and power switch such as THR-105K, THR-132, or THR-73 have built-in power switches which could be wired to the controller to turn the power on and off which would eliminate the need to wire the scooter's original power switch to the new controller. 

The Bladez Ion 350's original charger port probably does not have the right connector to fit the new controller so a matching connector could be installed on the original charger port or a new charger port with the right terminals and connector could be purchased for the modification. 

We have a 24 Volt 350 Watt throttle and controller kit which is our item # KIT-801 and includes a controller and twist throttle with power meter and key switch. This kit has matching and labeled connectors on the throttle and controller. We can also make the same kit with a different throttle if you prefer a different style throttle. 

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Login or Signup to post a comment