This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

How do i attatch the wires to the battery?

Hey guys, I bought the scooter around 12 months ago without the battery. I then purchased my own battery suitable for this 2000w 48v system. However, I have absolutely no idea how to connect the battery to the scooter connection as the ends are completely different from eachother. The other thing I noticed is, the wires from the scooter are 2 core as seen in the images, and the wires from the battery is 4 core I think. That is also in the image. As you can see, the battery has 2 red wires and 2 black wires. The end coming from the scooter has a kettle plug style end as seen in the image, so a friend told me to buy one of those style leads, so that's what I did. Then another friend told me that the kettle style lead won't be able to cope with the amps or something and it will fry it. He told me to get an XT90 connection so I also did that To wrap this up, I have absolutely no idea what to do, who is right and who is wrong? And where do I even begin? What goes where? I'd really appreciate some help. Thanks in advance Paul.
DSC0559.JPG
(2.32 MB)
DSC0556.JPG
(2.1 MB)
DSC0554.JPG
(2.27 MB)
DSC0555.JPG
(2.14 MB)
Here are the specs. I just went into my purchase history and found them

For safety reasons we recommend installing a fuse as not having one can be dangerous if there is a short circuit in the wiring. Using the fuse that is currently on the scooter would be much safer than not installing a fuse. 

I just noticed the specifications that you posted. I would use a 50 Amp fuse, unless the scooter uses a fuse that is less than 50 Amps and then I would use that size of fuse.

Thanks, I'm struggling to locate the fuse on this battery, can you point me in the right direction

I presumed that the scooter originally had a lead-acid battery pack with a wiring harness that has a fuse holder built into it. This presumption may have been incorrect though. Do you know if the scooter originally have a lead-acid battery pack or lithium battery pack?

I bought the scooter from one supplier and the battery from another supplier. So no battery actually came with the scooter, however there was an option on the website to purchase the scooter with either lead acid or lithium. I chose the lithium battery option upon purchase of the scooter but when the scooter arrived there was no battery in with it. So I told the guy to give me my money back for the battery and I will buy one from somewhere else.

I would install a 50 Amp fuse then since that is the maximum size fuse that should be used with the battery pack. 

Where abouts exactly is the fuse on the battery? I'm star to find its location.
I'm struggling to find its location

I do not think that the lithium battery pack has a fuse. A fuse holder and fuse would need to be installed between the battery pack and controller. the best place for it would be between the battery pack and its power output connector. 

I believe the scooter has a fuse built in to it already. Will that be the fuse you are referring to?

I was referring to a fuse that would be custom installed however if the scooter already has a fuse between the battery pack and controller then see if the fuse is 50 Amps or less and if it is then it would be okay to use. 

I will check to make sure, thanks for putting me on the right track. Would you advise cutting both of the red wires first and twisting them together etc and connecting them up to the XT90 before I cut the black wires? Is that the safest way to do it?

Yes, that sounds like the safest way to do it. If the procedure is carried out properly then there is no danger at all. Just make sure that one of the polarities is fully insulated before working on the other polarity so this way if a wire is accidentally let go of then it has no chance of touching a live conductor from the opposite polarity. 

Thank you. That gives me confidence now to do the job on it.

Login or Signup to post a comment