This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?
Answered

I have a few questions about my electric scooter batteries

ok so i have a few questions about my new ecosmart scooters batteries

#1 since im new to scooters as well as new to SLA batteries what do i need to know as far as proper battery care goes? how often should i charge my SLA batteries how long should i charge the batteries when the scooter arrives to my house after i take it out of the shipping box and how long should i charge the batteries each time they need to be charged

#2 how far should i run the batteries when ridinging my scooter before charging them im asking because i dont want the batteries to stop being able to hold a charge i.e. if the scooter has an estimated continuous run time of 40mins on the stock 7Ah batteries

if i decide to upgrade to your 15Ah batteries how much continuous runtime will my scooter get estimate if you need to

lastly would upgrading to say a 1000w motor give me more range seeing as how the bigger motor would increase how fast i go

i assumed that since the stock 500w motor goes 15-18 mph that a bigger motor would give me greater range due to the increase in speed thanks for your time and sorry for all the questions this is all new to me

one final question if i decide to upgrade my scooter to 4 12 volt batteries would you be able to make me a custom wiring harness for the 4 batteries? that would allow me to connect the 4 batteries the same we connect the stock 3

Best Answer

Proper SLA battery care requires:

• Charging the battery pack for 12 hours before its first use.
  • Recharging the battery pack after every use of the scooter.
  • Recharging the battery pack every 30 days when the scooter is not being used or is in storage.

The charger will have a light that turns red during the first 2 stages of the charge and green during the third stage of the charge. Once the charger goes into the third stage of the charge then it is best to leave it charging for 2-3 hours before unplugging it from the wall and scooter.

You can run the batteries all the way down to the point in their discharge cycle where the controller shuts off the motor. The controller is designed to shut off the motor before the battery pack becomes over discharged. However, if you run the battery pack down that low then the scooter will stop running and need to be pushed or kicked the rest of the way to where you are going. 

If you don't run the battery pack down to the level that the scooter stops running then that will be good for the battery pack and will help it have a longer lifespan. However, the battery pack can run down to the point that the scooter stops running without damaging the batteries, so long as they are recharged afterward.

Our estimated runtime for the Razor EcoSmart scooter with our 15Ah battery pack is 85 minutes at full throttle on flat ground without very many stops. 

Modifying the scooter from having a 500 Watt motor to having a 1000 Watt motor will not decrease the runtime if the gearing with the 1000 Watt motor provides the same top speed as with the 500 Watt motor and the riding conditions are exactly the same. However, if the gear ratio with the 1000 Watt motor installed provides a faster top speed and the scooter is driven at a faster top speed than with the 500 Watt motor then the runtime will decrease compared to using the 500 Watt motor. 

With increased speed comes extra drag (air resistance) which is the number one factor affecting power consumption of a vehicle. So the faster a vehicle travels at the more drag it will encounter and the more power it will consume. For this reason, the slower speed that an electric motor powered vehicle travels at the more range or runtime it will have. 

We do not make a 48 Volt battery pack wiring harnesses for the Razor EcoSmart scooter. We are aware that many people overvolt their EcoSmart scooters to 48 Volts and we do not discourage doing so, however, we do not want to be responsible for any damages caused by overvolting so we leave making the wiring harnesses for overvolting modifications up to the person who is doing the modification. 

We can make a complete 48 Volt modification kit for the EcoSmart scooter which includes a 48 Volt; motor, controller, battery pack, wiring harness, throttle, and charger. 

Answer

Proper SLA battery care requires:

• Charging the battery pack for 12 hours before its first use.
  • Recharging the battery pack after every use of the scooter.
  • Recharging the battery pack every 30 days when the scooter is not being used or is in storage.

The charger will have a light that turns red during the first 2 stages of the charge and green during the third stage of the charge. Once the charger goes into the third stage of the charge then it is best to leave it charging for 2-3 hours before unplugging it from the wall and scooter.

You can run the batteries all the way down to the point in their discharge cycle where the controller shuts off the motor. The controller is designed to shut off the motor before the battery pack becomes over discharged. However, if you run the battery pack down that low then the scooter will stop running and need to be pushed or kicked the rest of the way to where you are going. 

If you don't run the battery pack down to the level that the scooter stops running then that will be good for the battery pack and will help it have a longer lifespan. However, the battery pack can run down to the point that the scooter stops running without damaging the batteries, so long as they are recharged afterward.

Our estimated runtime for the Razor EcoSmart scooter with our 15Ah battery pack is 85 minutes at full throttle on flat ground without very many stops. 

Modifying the scooter from having a 500 Watt motor to having a 1000 Watt motor will not decrease the runtime if the gearing with the 1000 Watt motor provides the same top speed as with the 500 Watt motor and the riding conditions are exactly the same. However, if the gear ratio with the 1000 Watt motor installed provides a faster top speed and the scooter is driven at a faster top speed than with the 500 Watt motor then the runtime will decrease compared to using the 500 Watt motor. 

With increased speed comes extra drag (air resistance) which is the number one factor affecting power consumption of a vehicle. So the faster a vehicle travels at the more drag it will encounter and the more power it will consume. For this reason, the slower speed that an electric motor powered vehicle travels at the more range or runtime it will have. 

We do not make a 48 Volt battery pack wiring harnesses for the Razor EcoSmart scooter. We are aware that many people overvolt their EcoSmart scooters to 48 Volts and we do not discourage doing so, however, we do not want to be responsible for any damages caused by overvolting so we leave making the wiring harnesses for overvolting modifications up to the person who is doing the modification. 

We can make a complete 48 Volt modification kit for the EcoSmart scooter which includes a 48 Volt; motor, controller, battery pack, wiring harness, throttle, and charger. 

can you link me to the 48V mod kit incase i decide to purchase it in the future

I just checked and it looks like we have not made a 48 Volt 1000 Watt modification kit for the EcoSmart scooter yet so I do not have a link to one. Instead of a 48 Volt 1000 Watt modification kit I recommend a 36 Volt 1000 Watt modification kit instead because its motor will have the same amount of power and its battery pack will have more capacity for a longer runtime. 

Please keep in mind that our modification kits may require metal fabrication and mechanical experience to install so they need to be installed by someone with the tools and skills to perform this type of work. 

If you or anyone else reading this wants a modification kit for the EcoSmart scooter then we can go ahead and make one, however, it takes us a while to make the page for these kits so we would prefer to make it at a point in time that someone has decided that they want one and is ready to purchase it. 

if i may ask how will the 1000 watt motor have a longer run time vs the stock 500 watt motor im confused

That could only happen if the scooter was driven at a slower speed with the 1000 Watt motor than it was with the 500 Watt motor. 

im confused you said the 1000w motor would allow the scooter to have a longer runtime 

My apologies for writing in such a confusing manner. In general, a lower power motor will provide a longer runtime and a more powerful motor will provide a shorter runtime. The same way that a car with a 4 cylinder engine will get better mileage than one with an 8 cylinder engine. There are exceptions though such as if a vehicle with a more powerful motor was driven slower than a vehicle with a less powerful motor. 

thanks you i will mark this solved

You are welcome.

Login or Signup to post a comment