This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

Electrifying a pedal Vespa

Hi - I've bought a Vespa style pedal trike for my 5 year old, and I'm planning on electrifying it and building a sidecar so he can drive his 2yo brother with him. I've attached a few pictures of how it looks at the moment so you can get an idea of what I'm trying to do, but I'd like your guidance on what equipment I need to get the job done.

A couple of extra details:

- The wheels are 200mm x 50mm and solid rubber, so I'd like to replace them with pneumatic (the Razor E200 look perfect)

- The wheel well is about 1sq ft in space, within which I need to fit all the mechanicals, the battery/ies (and the wheels of course)

- I'd like it to have enough power to give them a good ride, but not so much that it gets dangerous for young ones. I'd also like to have plenty of ride time. We go to a few vintage themed events which they can ride at, but would essentially be on the go all day, and I don't fancy pulling it!

Any help you can give would be gratefully received!

Many thanks

Wes

__57-3.JPG
(244 KB)
__57-2.JPG
(377 KB)
__57.JPG
(445 KB)
I can recommend which electrical parts and gear ratio would be a good fit for the project. A standard motor or a gear motor could be used depending upon your target top speed. A standard motor could power the scooter between 10-15 MPH with the right gearing, and a gear motor could power it much slower if that is what you are looking for. How many miles per hour do you want the top speed to be?

That would be great - thanks very much. The kids are still young, but I would think 10-15 mph would be manageable for them, so long as there was decent throttling. Looking forward to your thoughts.
Regarding replacing the solid wheels with pneumatic wheels, I do not have any off the shelf parts that could accomplish that. You may want to check with a store that specifically sells go kart parts to see if they have the pillow blocks, axles, and wheels for that part of the project.

For the electrical part of the project we just added a kit which contains all of the parts that you will need and is pre-wired so all you have to do is plug everything together. The kit is our item # KIT-102 and is located on this page: http://www.electricscooterparts.com/electricscooterkits.html

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Login or Signup to post a comment