This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

What kit do you have for me

Ok so I want to build a adult tricycle that I want to be able to ride accross the beach and pull my wagon. I don't need it to go fast just want it to pull like a tank at just over walking speed. I want to use 18.5x18 golf cart tires, solid live axle. I would like it to coast when gas is let off. Reverse is not necessary but an option. It would carry about 250 pounds plus it's own weight and the weight of pulling a wagon with the same tires. I need at least 15 minutes of run time out and 15 minutes back any more without having to many batteries. Putting extra batteries in the wagon may be an option? Thanks and let me know what you come up with Joe
I am working on the parts list and calculations for this and almost have it figured out. Do you know what the diameter of the live axle will be?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to use a 1in axle. Seems to be most common. If the length is correct I'll get one with the threaded and stepped ends.

I just wanted to let you know that I am still working on this. I located the freewheel adapter for a 1" axle plus the freewheel and axle sprocket. I need to take some measurements off of our motor sprockets to see which motor will work with the axle sprocket. We will definitely have all the parts that you will need to build this vehicle. I will reply to this forum again once I have all of this figured out.

If you receive a copy of this forum reply by email please do not respond to the email and instead log into the forum at this link http://support.electricscooterparts.com/support/discussions/topics/1000060002 and reply in the forum. Otherwise the reply will not be posted in the forum and I may not see it. Thank you.

Ok project is waiting on you. I have everything else just can't start assembly till I have motor and its components.

I think a 450-600 Watt gear motor would be best for such a heavy load that you are planning to pull. I am leaning towards a 600 Watt motor to give you the torque that you need to go through the sand and pull all of that weight. The sprocket on the 600 watt gear motor is what I need to measure to find the right axle sprocket for. I will take some measurements today and reply again to let you know what I find.

Okay I have the motor and drivetrain figured out now. Our 36 Volt gear motor (Item # MOT-36600G) has a 10 tooth sprocket that works with #41 and #420 chain. 

We have sprocket for #420 chain along with freewheels and freewheel to axle adapters for 1" axles on this page:  

https://electricscooterparts.com/sprockets420chain.html

We carry #420 chain (CHN-420) to go between the motor and axle sprocket.  

Here are the parts to consider:

Drivetrain:
MOT-36600G $149.95 (motor)
SPR-42T41CFW24TPI $64.95 (axle sprocket and freewheel assembly)
FWM-ADAPTER1 $24.95 (1" axle adapter)
CHN-41LF $2.95 per foot (chain)

Electrical:

SPD-CT660B9 $54.95 (controller)

Your choice of throttle $19.95-$29.95

3 QTY BAT-12V18A $54.95 each (might be able to use 12V12Ah batteries ($39.95 each) instead but that would be cutting it close to the 1/2 hour ride time)

CHR-36V2.5AXLR $43.95 (charger)

CNX-XLR05W $6.96 (charger port)

Depending on which throttle you choose a key or power switch may or may not be needed. 

With these parts the kit is going to cost around $500.00. I can also design this kit with a 24 Volt 450 Watt gear motor with a cost of around $350-$400. The 450 Watt gear motor is not as large or powerful as the 600 Watt gear motor and uses #410 bicycle chain instead of #41 motorcycle chain.

I need to ask a few questions before I can make the kit:

Would you prefer the 600 Watt or 450 Watt Kit?

What is the item number of the throttle that you want to use? http://www.electricscooterparts.com/throttles.html

How many feet of chain do you need?

I recommend choosing a 36 Volt (for 600 Watt kit) or 24 Volt (for 450 Watt kit) throttle with a key switch built into it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

I'm thinking smaller would be better for me. 450w motor and 24v. 2 batteries. Throttles are not that expensive so I would use what you have the best results with. Bike chain I don't need. I'm a avid bicyclists and have several chains laying around. Batteries I think I need to know demensions. Would like to use the largest battery that I can fit. On off switch will be fine. Not going anywhere theft will be an issue. If you recommend the throttle with the key switch that will be fine. How much variation do we have with gear ratios.

That sounds good. The weight and cost of just about everything in the kit goes down when you switch from 36 Volt to 24 Volts. I can make a 24 Volt 450 Watt kit once we figure out what size batteries you can use.

The bicycle chain that our 24V 450W gear motor uses is 1/2" x 1/8" (single speed bicycle chain). I recommend using only new chain with the new sprockets so they wear out evenly together. Sometimes if used chain is installed on new sprockets it will not wrap around the sprockets, fall off the sprockets, and or prematurely wear out the new sprockets.

I can make the kit with a throttle that has a key switch, or if you prefer with throttle that does not have a key switch along with a separate handlebar mount power switch. The separate handlebar mount power switch option might be better because it does not have a key that could get lost.

Here are the battery sizes:

10Ah: 5-7/8" long x 2-1/2" wide x 4-5/16" high

12Ah and 15Ah: 6" long x 3-7/8" wide x 3-3/4" high

18Ah and 22Ah: 7-1/8" long x 3" wide x 6-5/8" high

Assuming that the bike will be solely powered by the electric motor and not pedaled, for a 1/2 hour run time with a 24 Volt battery pack (two batteries) I recommend 18Ah or larger batteries. Although 15Ah batteries will probably give more than a 1/2 hour run time also. Batteries loose run time capacity with usage and over time so you really want a 45 minute run time with new batteries that will become a 30 minute run time when the batteries are getting older.

With the 24 Volt 450 Watt 550 RPM gear motor I ran calculations with a couple of different gearing options. 

Here is the gear ratio and top speed calculation with a 60 tooth sprocket:

And here is the gear ratio and top speed calculation with a 44 tooth sprocket:

The lower the top speed the more torque the tricycle will have for climbing hills, pulling weight, and going through sand. There is not a huge difference in top speed between the two sprockets though so the difference in torque will most likely not be very significant.

To make this 24 Volt 450 Watt electric tricycle kit I will need to know the following information:

What size batteries do you want to use?

Do you want a full twist twist throttle, half twist throttle, or thumb throttle?

Do you want a handlebar mount power switch (as opposed to a full twist throttle with key switch)?

Do you want a new 1/2" x 1/8" chain included with the kit?

Ok So I will take the 24v, 450w freewheel system with 2 of the 15ah batteries. I'm going to fit it with 2 for now. If I have room I will put 2 more later. Regular full twist grip throttle with the seperate switch no keys Chain I have several new high quality chains so I do not need one. As far as gearing, lets go with the 9 / 60 combo

I went ahead and made the kit. It is item # KIT-141. You can click on the item descriptions in the kit to see photos of the individual parts that are included with the kit. Here is a link to the kit: 

KIT-141: https://cart.electricscooterparts.com/24-volt-450-watt-gear-motor-electric-tricycle-power-kit

If you would like any changes made to the kit, or if you have any questions before or after you buy the kit please let us know.

Everything looks good. What is the next biggest sprocket in stock so I don't need to custom order anything.

For the axle the biggest off the shelf sprocket that we can have machined to fit the freewheel is 90 teeth. 

https://electricscooterparts.com/freewheel-sprockets-freewheels-and-axle-adapters-for-bicycle-chain.html

The motor comes with a 9 tooth sprocket and we do have a bigger 11 tooth sprocket available that fits the motor. Here is a link to the page it is on: http://www.electricscooterparts.com/bicyclesprockets.html

We also custom make sprockets and can include a custom made sprocket with the kit. Custom made sprockets can be ordered on this page: https://electricscooterparts.com/custom-made-sprockets.html

Login or Signup to post a comment