This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

Converting a Gas Triumph T10 (like a Vespa) to Electric

Hi,

I am converting a 1966 Triumph T10 (like a vespa) to electric. It is old and heavy.

I need advice on which motor and rear wheel assembly to buy from you.

I was thinking of 36 volts, 500 Amps motor. is that good? Can you recommend one?

Also, I am trying to use the OEM swing arm and rear wheel, which has a large v-Belt pully on it.  I can remove the pully and put on a sprocket (56 tooth?) but need it to free wheel when no engine...yes?  is there a freewheel small sprocket for the engine side instead?  I think that would be easier.

Advice and parts welcome,  thanks.

I just checked and the 750 Watt and 1000 Watt motors both have the exact same 4-1/4" diameter. The only difference between the two motors is that the 1000 Watt is a little longer than the 750 Watt.

I am not sure which rear sprocket will work with that hub. The hub looks too big to be able to bolt a 1-1/4" diameter 11 tooth sprocket directly onto its flat face. Maybe the sprocket could be mounted 1/8" away from the hub so a smaller sprocket than the hub could be used. If you go with the 1000 Watt motor it has an 11 tooth sprocket for 8mm chain, so an 8mm rear sprocket could be used with it. Our 8mm sprockets are available at this link: http://www.electricscooterparts.com/sprockets8mmchain.htm

Once we figure out which size motor and batteries to use then I can go ahead and make the kit for it.

Thanks for sticking with my project.

Please see attached PDF.  I think we can make it work, but we need to find sprockets.  Im thinking I can get a SPR-812 and have the center milled out on a taper.  Or get two larger sprockets, like 20 or 30 tooth that match, one for the motor and one for the rear and bolt the rear to the hub.

pdf
It sounds like you are definitely on the right path with the sprockets. What I would do is bring the chosen sprocket and gearbox into a local machine shop and ask them if they can machine the sprocket to make it fit onto the shaft. I suspect that not all machine shops will want to take on a custom project like this, so you may need to take it to a few shops before finding one that is willing to do the job.
Yes, thank you. I would like to get the kit now. Motor, controller, handgrip, batteries,charger and 12v voltage reducer, fuse, circuitbreaker. I will need a sketch on how to attach controller and batteries and circuit breaker. I have a two wire key switch. Please spec both the 750w and 1000w. Once things are all assembled i will order sprocket and chain. Again my goal is performance , reliability and simplicity. So if there is a choice in components i would pick on those three criteria vs all out performance. Thanks.
Our kits come with labeled matching connectors so all of the parts plug into each other when it arrives. I can also make a sketch of how to attach everything together.

To make a kit I will need to know what size batteries it should have. In order to run a 750 or 1000 Watt motor a 36 Volt battery pack will be required which will consist of three batteries. The larger the battery size the more miles the scooter will be able to go on a single charge. Do you know what size batteries you would like to use?

The dimension of our batteries can be found on the pages linked to below:
Here is a link to our smaller size batteries: http://www.electricscooterparts.com/batteries.html
And to our larger size batteries: http://www.electricscooterparts.com/batteries2.html
Thanks, that sounds good. I am going with the smaller batteries, either a 12v12 or 12v15 depending on budget.
Ok looking forward to your recommendations. I would also like you to recommend a hand grip with a built-in meter the control, motor, batteries,charger, 12 volt converter. Once i have everything bolted tigether i will work on the sprocket and chain.
Here is a rough draft of a kit I could make for the project.

3 qty - BAT-12V15A ($44.95 x3 = $134.85) (Could save $15.00 by using 12Ah instead.)
1 qty - CHR-36V1.6AXLR ($32.95) (XLR is the best type of connector.)
1 qty - CNX-XLR05W ($6.95) (XLR port for the charger to plug into.)
1 qty - THR-110K ($29.95) (Full twist throttle with LED battery meter and on/off key switch.)
1 qty - SPD-CT660B9 ($54.95) (Controller for motor.)
1 qty - MOT-361000 ($159.95) (1000W Motor) (Could save $30.00 by using 750 Watt motor instead.)
1 qty - CVT-7212 ($19.95) (12V Voltage converter)
1 qty - SWT-95 ($2.95) (Switch for Voltage converter.)
1 qty - HNS-105 ($12.95) (Battery pack wiring harness.)
1 qty - FUS-359 ($1.59) (Fuse holder.)
1 qty - FUT-ATO30 ($0.95) (Fuse)

Grand total of all parts = $457.99
Discount for buying kit = $46.00
Grand total of kit after discount = $411.99

We will install matching and labeled connectors on every part of this kit so all you have to do is plug everything together.

The Voltage converter can not be turned on and off with the same switch (key switch on throttle with parts listed above) that turns the controller on and off because the controller runs its own low current power source to the switch, and the converter needs a high current power source. We will include a toggle switch with wires and connectors to turn the Voltage converter on and off. An indicator light could be wired to the converter that will illuminate when it is on, so that the converter's power is not left on by mistake when the scooter is not being used.

Please let me know if you would like the kit made as shown above, or if you would like any changes made to it?
I will go with the 15 Amp batteries, the larger ones will not fit. I will go with the 1000W motor, but with the bracket in case I can use it. See attached sketch for measurements for wires. Please error on the LONGER side for wires, I would like slack where possible. Please also add a 12V horn to the package and SWT-32.
pdf
OK that sounds good. I will start working on this kit and reply again with a link to the kit as soon as it is ready.

1000W with bracket, controller, 3 12v15A batteries, 12V converter, Twist Grip controller with key and battery meter, blinker/headlight switch grip, 12v horn

I have the kit ready now. It is item # KIT-190.

Here is a link to it: https://cart.electricscooterparts.com/36-volt-1000-watt-electric-scooter-power-kit-KIT-190

We can make the battery wiring harness to you exact length specifications.

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like any changes made to the kit.

Great, Thanks. 

Wire 3 &4 are 5" long

Wires 1&2 are 24" long

Need to add to kit:

Chain= CHN 8124

Blinker = RL4-541

Left Brake Lever LEV-22L

If something is not in stock, let me know we can find an alternate.  Thanks. 

I will wait for a new link for the shopping cart, then buy today. 

You are welcome.

Here is a link to the updated kit: https://cart.electricscooterparts.com/36-volt-1000-watt-electric-scooter-power-kit-KIT-190

Again and as always, please let me know if you would like any further changes made to the kit, or if you have any questions. Thank you.

Hi, how is it going? Did the kit ship yet?
Hi John, your kit shipped out last week and is scheduled to be delivered today. The FedEx tracking number for your package is 781374920216. Thank you for your purchase and please let me know if you have any questions.

Login or Signup to post a comment