This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

EGO 56 Lawn Equipment Powered Mini Bike

I would like to do a 56v LiPO conversion to a mini bike.  These batteries come fro EGO lawn equipment.  I want to accommodate all makes of EGO battery possible.  These makes include a 2A, 2.5A, 4A, 5A, 6A, and 7.5A battery.  I believe the 56v part is peak voltage and usually running is around 50-51.  What I would really like to know is what I would need for an entire setup.  For example a throttle, controller box, break with circuit interrupter, fuse, motor, and anything else that may be deemed necessary to make a functioning and safe mini bike in the end.  If you could come up with at kit it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

JPG
(35.6 KB)
JPG
(42.9 KB)

In order to make a kit that is safe to use with these batteries we would need to know the maximum current (Amps) that can be continuously drawn from the battery. The Ah rating that is printed on the battery corresponds to its capacity (how much energy is stored in the battery) and not to the batteries maximum continuous current draw specification.

I do not see any information printed on the battery labels that you attached regarding their maximum continuous current draw rating, so that information would need to be obtained from the distributor or manufacturer of the battery.

Once the maximum continuous current draw specification is known then we can choose a controller and motor that will not draw too much current from the battery and will be safe to use with it. It is very important to not draw more current from LiPO batteries than they are rated for so they do not overheat and melt or catch fire.

If you are able to obtain the maximum continuous current draw specifications for the battery then please let us know what it is, and we can then design a kit around it.

Here is what I got from the manufacturer:

2A, 2.5A, 4A, and 5A batteries have a continuous current of 20-25amps

6A and 7.5A batteries have a continuous current of 15-20amps

Could you please include all items and anything that would be suggested aditinally to those requested in the previous quote to make up a kit.  I would also be interested in what it would take to go the rout of a go-kart instead of a mini bike.

Thank You

The battery packs with a continuous current draw rating of 20-25 Amps could be used with a controller that has a 20 Amp maximum current rating. 48 Volt controllers with a 20 Amp maximum current rating are typically rated at 350 Watts. Unfortunately we do not carry any 48 Volt controllers rated under 500 Watts, or 48 Volt motors rated under 1000 Watts, so I do not have the parts available to make a kit for your project. I recommend searching online for 48 Volt 350 Watt motors and controllers for your project. I wish that I had a better solution but unfortunately we do not carry the parts that you need.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Login or Signup to post a comment