This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

Electric Wheelbarrow?

I would like to use scooter parts to make a battery operated wheelbarrow, mostly for cleaning horse stalls. Have you ever done a project like this? I can buy them purpose built, but they are too pricey for my budget. Thanks, Larry Hybl

I believe this is the first wheelbarrow that we have helped to add electric power to on this forum however we have helped people with other similar projects.

We should start with figuring out the gear ratio and sprockets to use to get the desired top speed. I imagine that you want the top speed to be walking speed which is around 3 MPH? So I can start working on the gear ratio could you please let me know the diameter of the wheelbarrow's tire?

I estimate 14". I say estimate because I think I will need to get new axles and wheels to enable chain/sprocket drive, which seems to be common to your other kits. I believe I need to source that from Go Kart parts companies, but appreciate any leads you can provide. Yes to walking speed of 3 mph as the top speed. Cargo capacity of about 250-300 pounds. Terrain is Ozark foothills, so definitely need torque for hauling a full load of horse stall "stuff" uphill.
I ran a gear ratio calculation using our 24 Volt 350 Watt gear motor along with a 14 inch tire. I used a 48 tooth sprocket with this calculation because that is a common size for go karts. Here is the calculation.

electric-wheelbarrow-motor.jpg

This 24 Volt 350 Watt motor has just under a half horsepower and when geared for 3.24 miles per hour will be able to haul a 300 pound load up most hills and inclines, however if you need it to go up very steep hills or inclines, or will sometimes use the wheelbarrow to haul heavier loads, then you might want to consider using our 600 Watt motor. Here is a gear ratio calculation using our 600 Watt motor along with a 60 tooth wheel sprocket.

electric-wheelbarrow-600-watt-motor.jpg

The 600 Watt kit will cost more than the 350 Watt kit because all of its parts are bigger and it has three batteries instead of two. However it might be worth it to go with the bigger kit so it can handle anything that you might throw at it.

Once you decide which size motor to use then please let me know how many minutes or hours per day of run time that the wheelbarrow will need to have, and then I can start working on what size batteries it will need in order to run for that amount of time.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Login or Signup to post a comment