This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

Building from scratch

I'm planning to build an electric scooter. Can you recommend some specific parts that would help me? The scooter is a single rider scooter that will be used on flat ground only. Top speed is about 60–70 kmh.
For an electric scooter with that high of a top speed choosing the right brakes would be the most important part of the build. Depending on the size of the battery pack, which might need to be fairly heavy depending on the type of batteries and range of the scooter, the weight of the scooter might get a little heavy.

I would look into using wheels and brakes from an existing electric or gas scooter that are designed to stop the vehicle at the speeds that your scooter will be traveling at. This way you will know that the brakes will be effective at those speeds.

At 60-70 khm (38-44mph) there will be a lot of drag to overcome, so the scooter will need a powerful motor. I estimate that on flat ground it will need at least a 2000 Watt (3hp) motor for 60 kmh, and a 3000 Watt (4hp) motor for 70 kmh.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Login or Signup to post a comment