This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

Help with scooter build

I have a E450 scooter that I want to make more powerful. Here's my NEW parts list so far that I have: 48V 1000W motor (11 tooth sprocket, 3000 rpm) 48V throttle 48V 12ah battery pack Charging port Charger (not pictured) The on/off switch wiring harness (pictured) is from the old E450. Here are my questions: 1. Obviously I need a controller. Please recommend one that would be compatible with my setup. 2. Can I use the old on/off switch wiring harness? Or would be easier to purchase a new on/off switch? 3.can you confirm I have my batteries wired correctly in series.
For a 48 Volt 1000 Watt motor our SPD-481000B controller is what we recommend to use.

The old switch and wiring harness could be reused. Since the Voltage is being doubled along with Watts rating of the motor the gauge of wire that the old wiring harness is made with will work with the new parts. If you reuse the old wiring harness then the key switch connector wires on the new SPD-481000B controller will need to bridged together since the power will be turned on and off in the wiring harness.

On the other hand when upgrading an electric scooter with a new motor and controller it is sometimes a good idea to replace the old wiring harness and start from scratch. This way the wires will be new and the terminals that connect to the batteries will be new and fit snugly onto the batteries, and you will be able to install the power switch directly to the controller instead of in the wiring harness, which will lower the Amp load on the switch and allow it to last longer. The charger port could then be wired directly to the controller instead of being wired through the wiring harness. Either way will work though so the old harness could be reused or a new one made from scratch.

The batteries in your photo are correctly wired in series.
I would rather not use the old harness, but I wouldn't know where to begin on designing a new one. Do you all sell one that would be compatible with my parts and the controller you recommended?
Also, I have the SPD481000B already that I purchased from you all last year. But I couldnt figure out how to wire it all together so I assumed it wasnt compatible. One thing that confused me was none of the wire connectors were the same as the contoller. Can you provide detailed instructions on wiring it all up?
For instance, the controller has a connection labeled derailleur, I'm assuming that is the throttle. This connection on the controller has only 3 wires, black red and blue. But the throttle I purchased from you all has 4 wires as indicated in the attached picture. How do I wire these together?
Also, you said I could wire the key switch directly to the controller. How would I do that correctly with the key switch pictured. As you can see on the back of the key switch there are two sets of connections comma and the controller has two wires designated to go to the key switch. Where on the back of the key switch would I wire the two wires coming from the controller?
The way that the SPD-481000B controller is made makes creating a wiring harness easy because there is no power switch or charger port that connects to the harness. It would be exactly the same as the existing battery pack wiring harness except with longer wires and a different connector.

We sell a 48 Volt battery pack wiring harness item # HNS-134 that works with the SPD-481000B controller. Here is the link to it:

The power switch can be wired to go directly to the controller. I will show how to do this in the wiring diagram that I will create after I know which throttle you have.

We can make all of the wiring harnesses that are needed, or you could make them yourself if you have soldering equipment or a wire crimping tool such as our item # CRM-85 which is designed for our connector terminals. If we made all of the wiring harnesses including the battery pack to controller harness ($14.95), switch to controller harness ($4.95), and charger port to controller harness (4.95) the cost for all of these harnesses would be $24.85.

I started making a wiring diagram for installing the SPD-481000B controller however I could not find your order with the throttle so I could not complete it. I also looked but could not find a photo of the throttle that you attached. Could you please let me know the item number of the throttle, or attach a photo of it, so I can complete the wiring diagram?
Throttle
I think the throttle is THR-115
I have soldering equipment and crimping tools so if you could just include the necessary harnesses in your wiring diagram that would be fantastic
Please see wiring diagram inserted and attached below. Only two of the switch's terminals need to be used as shown in the wiring diagram. The diagram shows how to wire the harnesses for proper connections of the throttle, power switch, and charger port to the controller.

To make the harnesses, wire (12 gauge for battery harness and 20 gauge for switch and charger harnesses) and the following connectors and terminals will be needed:

We sell 12 gauge and 20 gauge wire by the foot if you need wire.

It is always a good idea to buy a few extra terminals in case some of them get damaged during installation.

pdf
Thank you very much. Im very impressed with your excellent, timely customer service!
You are welcome. If you need any further help with the project then please let us know.
Can you provide a diagram of what my battery pack to controller harness should look like? I know the connectors/terminals will be different, but please designate where each end of the harness connects to, similar to the diagram above. Especially since im removing the key switch from the harness and wiring switch directly to the controller. I know there has to be a fuse also correct?
There should be a 40 Amp ATO fuse in the old wiring harness that can be reused in the new one. If the fuse is missing or blown out or you want to buy some spares then we sell replacement ATO Fuses.

Here is a wiring diagram showing how to connect the wiring harness to the batteries.

We prefer for all of the battery terminals to be on one side of the battery pack as shown in the diagram above because this way none of the wires are crossing over or under each other.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Login or Signup to post a comment