This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

Go Bowen 24 volt atv - trouble shooting

Braught my son a used non working 24 volt gobowen with I believe a 350 watt motor with reverse option, and foot pedal safety - hook the batteries up and the controller does make a click but no power levels on the throttle - if im replacing parts I'm at a fork in the road whether to go 36 volt or stay 24 and put some big 18ah batteries for longer run time - it doesn't need to go a million miles an hour but maybe a little more tourqe and speed decent run time would be great! so I guess I'm looking at some ideas --- controllers , throttles etc.... but don't want to break the bank or go rocket speed , he has a gas atv for that , but I'd like to be able to let him go on his own in the back yard ( at one point did have a 24 volt rzr 4 wheeler so I'm assuming they are similar but this seems much more stable and a little smaller )

1 person has this question

As you probably already know installing a larger 24 Volt battery pack will increase the range, however, will not increase the torque or top speed. And increasing the battery pack Voltage from 24 Volts to 36 Volts will increase both the torque and the top speed at the same time. Some of our customers overvolt 24 Volt motors to 36 Volts and have no problems at all while others do the same thing and wind up burning out their motor in a short amount of time. So it is a gamble to overvolt a 24 Volt motor. 

For more torque and the same top speed or more top speed (depending on the gear ratio), along with high reliability, a more powerful 24 Volt or 36 Volt gear motor and controller could be custom installed and used with a battery pack that is the same Voltage as the motor. 

I was just looking at online photos of the Go Bowen 24 Volt 350 Watt ATV Quad and it looks like there is plenty of room inside of the frame for installing a larger motor and battery pack. I am not sure how many teeth the original motor's sprocket has or what size chain it uses so that would be something to consider if modifying the ATV to have a more powerful motor. We can help with gear ratios and sprocket selection if you decide to upgrade the motor. 

Please let us know if you have any questions.

I came across this on your page history last night it seems to have some info pertaining to the atv https://support.electricscooterparts.com/support/discussions/topics/1000081708 Something like this could be a thaught - I didn't receive the charger so I need to purchase 1 as well -- so overvolting to 36 untill I fry the motor may be the way to go - seems to be a little bit of a pain with the gear reduction for other options plenty of room in the body for batteries seem that 3 -18ah batteries have better demensions tall and skinny vs the 12ah wide and fat but also add 4.5 lbs per battery for a total of 13ish extra lbs and would prob take sometime to charge but the runtime should be excellent?? Any ideas on controllers, throttle , and charging ideas that won't break the bank but take days to charge - I think I'm going let the motor be for the moment , although I don't know if the motor is good assuming so? Any easy way to test ? I have little newer gas Atv's that I will have less $ into than this haha but it serves a different purposes when I'm not around mom can let him go or while we are camping etc
One more thing would it be a pain to retain the reverse? It seems it's a pretty archaic high voltage switch at the moment not super easy to turn

If you decide to use 18Ah batteries then for just a few dollars more 22Ah batteries are available which are the same dimensions as 18Ah batteries and will provide longer ride time. For either 18Ah or 22Ah batteries, we carry 2.5 Amp and 3 Amp battery chargers which will recharge them in the same time that a 1.6 Amp charger will recharge 12Ah batteries.

Regarding the controller, we recommend installing one that will allow for a motor upgrade down the road and also a 24 Volt 350 Watt motor will demand more than 350 watts when overvolted to 36 Volts. A 36 Volt 500 Watt controller would be fairly gentle on the 24 Volt 350 Watt motor while at the same time providing more power to it. A 36 Volt 750 or 1000 Watt controller would allow for upgrading to a more powerful 36 volt motor in the future, however, could potentially provide more current to the 24 Volt 350 Watt motor than it could handle if the ATV was used to go up hills or in deep sand or mud under full throttle conditions. 

The original throttle could be reused with a 36 Volt controller, however, if the original throttle has a battery power level indicator then it would not function correctly on 36 Volts. If a throttle with properly functioning battery indicator is desired then a new 36 Volt throttle with battery indicator could be installed along with the new 36 Volt controller and battery pack. 

For an easy to operate reverse switch we carry reverse contactors that can be controlled by an easy to use SPDT On-Off-On toggle switch. For a 36 Volt system, our reverse contactor item # RLY-RC36150 could be used. It is sold on this page https://electricscooterparts.com/relays.html#reverse-contactors and its wiring directions are available at this link: https://electricscooterparts.com/hookup/reverse-contactor-wiring-diagram.pdf

Our reverse contactors are fairly large, heavy, and industrial duty which is the reason for their high cost. For medium and high powered applications they are the only option that is available to replace the hard to operate rotary reverse switches though.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Ok I'm getting ready to order the parts from you guys and start this project finally , I need to finalize my direction - option 1 stay 24 volt , 2 -22amp hour batteries , 500 watt controller Is this a waste? Option 2- overvolt to 36 volt 3- 22ah batteries and 500 watt controller motor should be fine at this power but still see a boost in speed and tq? Option 3 overvolt 36 volts 3 -22ah Batteries and 800 watt controller - realize this may burn up the motor at some point - if my little man is the only one riding it and I stay off it lol ,then it should last longe? Being a gear reduced motor it's a bit of a pain to replace the motor unless I run a normal 800 watt motor like a. ( my 1020 ) or something similar which is more cost effective but would have to run a large 80/90 rear sprocket and w11 tooth front . That rear is huge and may limit ground clearance ?? I notice one one controller it had a dial to reduce overall power from 0% to 100% can I do something like that with a larger controler to help save the motor life? He has a gas quad and dirtbike so I'm not looking to build the biggest baddest thing out there I'm looking the best bang for the best bang for buck in tq and a little more speed while giving good ride time , the motor with transmission on my model throws a wrench In things..

If the ATV is run at the same Voltage with larger batteries and controller the ride time will be longer and the torque may be a little higher. If it is overvolted to 36V with a 500W controller then the top speed and torque should increase. And the same setup with an 800 Watt controller should provide increased top speed and torque over the 500W controller. If overvolted how long it will last is something that can not be predicted. 

If a throttle speed limiter was installed between the throttle and controller then the controller's power output level could be limited to reduce the output power of the controller. 

Great the throttle speed limiter was the awnser I was looking for , not sure how I missed that , appreciate all the help - One more thing , I'm not sure if your familiar with my reverse switch but it seems like just and old school rotary switch but if I decided to keep that would I need a controller with reverse ? ( just has the blue and yellow plug going to it from the controller and the red and black going to the motor from the switch ( it's a bit of a bear to turn for a kid ) Or if I got the switch you recommended that you sell would I need a controller with reverse ? Assuming I don't and they are electronic reverse but I have to ask , hopefully my questions can help someone out in the future

Login or Signup to post a comment