This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

Razor Crazy Cart not working

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what part I need to replace my sons crazy cart. It only runs on occasion depending on how he turns the wheel with his foot on the gas pedal. I've checked all of the words and nothing is loose or has come undone. Do I need a new controller, engine or foot pedal? Help please!!!!

2 people have this question
You might want to try two part 5-minute epoxy glue to reattach the magnet to the foot throttle. Epoxy glue is extremely strong and sticks very well to metal and plastic. I recommend wearing gloves when mixing and applying the epoxy glue otherwise it might get on your hands and it will be very difficult to remove.

If that does not work then the throttle pedal will need to be replaced with a new one. We have Razor Crazy Cart throttles available on this page: http://www.electricscooterparts.com/razor-crazy-cart-parts.html
Hi there. I recently bought a used razor crazy cart. It's for my wee boy for Christmas. The guy I bought it off seemed to have to fiddle with the wheel for a good few minutes to get it moving, but after it took off we both had two gos on it and it was working perfectly. He assured me it was only cos he hadn't the wheel round the right way. Anyway I got it home tonight and I can't get it moving at all. Battery is charged and light is on at power switch. I've fiddled with wheel the same as the guy I bought it off but there is no life at all. Normally I would drop it straight back but he lives 120 mile away. If the price of fixing it was less than the fuel then I'd like to fix it. Does anyone know what it may be? I read here about faulty wires? Is there ones I should check first. Kind regards.
The most common cause of that type of problem is the wires going to the motor being broken underneath their plastic insulation at the pinch point below the steering wheel. This can cause an intermittent problem at first and a then a permanent problem after a while.

I would inspect the motor wires and check for any signs of them being broken underneath their insulation. The Razor Crazy Cart's motor wires are subjected to a lot of flexing and do wear out over time. By bending the wires back and forth the physical resistance of the wire bending can be determined, and then when a section of the wire that is broken underneath the insulation is bent there will be much less physical resistance than normal.

The motor wires can also be tested for continuity with a multimeter by checking the electrical resistance of the wires between their beginnings and ends. This will require a multimeter with fairly sharp probes to penetrate the wire's insulation. After testing the wires with a multimeter it is best practice to put a small dab of silicone sealant on the wire where the probe broke into its insulation to prevent moisture from entering inside the wire at that point.

If a broken section of wire is discovered it can be replaced with new wire by cutting and splicing the new wire in, or by cutting and stripping the wire at the break and splicing it back together with solder and heat shrink tubing, or by splicing it back together by crimping on an automotive butt connector.

Hopefully this will be an easy diagnosis and repair. Please let me know how it goes.

I too am having trouble with my grandsons Crazy Cart.  I have replaced the controller, batteries, throttle and am now about to replace the motor.  What else can be a problem.. I have tested the battery charger and charger port and the On Of Switch.  All seam to be working correctly.

It sounds like you have replaced almost all of the Crazy Cart's parts already and there are not too many other parts to replace other than the motor and the safety button if the version you are working on has one. If the cart has a safety button (which is located underneath the steering wheel facing the driver) then you might want to try testing it to make sure it is working, not all Crazy Carts have safety buttons though so if you can not find one then you are working on a model that does not have one.

The motor wires are known to break underneath their plastic insulation over time from the amount of flexing that they do during usage, so it could be the motor wires and not the motor. You might want to try unplugging the motor from the controller and see if it runs off of a 12 Volt battery or automobile battery charger to test it, that way you will know if it is faulty before replacing it. When testing it turn the steering wheel back and forth to see if the motor's power cuts in and out to see if it has a broken wire. You might also want to test the continuity of the motor wires from where they exit the motor to their plug to see if any of the wires are broken underneath their insulation. If you find a broken wire then it can usually be repaired at the break.

Thanks.

Yes it was a broken wire about 8 inches from the motor where it has been under a lot of stress. I was able to replace the motor under warranty and now my Grandson is a happy Crazy Carter.

I will now repair the broken wire to have a replacement motor available as this is obvious a weakness.

Hi there, I have hopes that maybe you can help. My sons cart randomly stopped working the other day. When he presses on the gas it does nothing but when we looked at it, and raised it in the air, turned the steering wheel to reverse and pressed the gas pedal it goes, it charges fine, and had no damage, so I don't understand what could be the issue... So confused. Can you please help me?

That is most commonly caused by one of the motor's external wires breaking under its plastic insulation. This happens because the motor wires are subjected to a lot of flexing when the Crazy Cart is being driven. There is a lot of information posted above in this forum topic regarding how to diagnose and repair this problem. The broken wire is usually hidden under the wire's plastic insulation. Here is a photo of a Crazy Cart with broken motor wire after the plastic insulation has been stripped away. 

Here is a link to another forum topic regarding this problem: https://electricscooterparts.freshdesk.com/discussions/topics/1000072544

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Would just like to update my situation as i also got a lot of help from this thread. I checked everything. Batteries, replaced control module, checked cables. Finally opened up the accelerator pedal, and took it all apart. What had happened was the magnetic metal strip on the pedal that must act as a safety feature had fallen out. I simply glued it back in, reassembled the pedal and hey presto. Going 100%. Hope this helps someone, and thanks for all the help I received.

Thanks for your post, Chicker.  I have the same issue and haven't had a chance to glue it back in just yet.  What type of glue did you use?  How did you figure out which end was up?  Once I reinstalled it and it reversed the action on the pedal.

I just tried it one way and when it worked. Thats the way i glued it in. I just used typical household super glue. If its reversing it might be because youve the wheel turned 180 degrees. Hope this helped Erin.
We have experimented with magnets and hall effect sensors that are identical to those used in the Razor Crazy Cart foot throttle and found that the pole of the magnet effects the output Voltage of the hall-effect sensor. So it makes sense that if the magnet was placed in the opposite position from the way it was originally placed that the throttle would react in reverse to normal and be at full throttle when it was not pressed and be at zero throttle when it was pressed down all the way. The hall effect sensor reacts to the position of the poles of the magnet.

When the south pole of the magnet is closest to the hall effect sensor it outputs its lowest Voltage which tells the controller to make the motor not run. As the distance between the south and north poles of the magnet are moved across the hall effect sensor its Voltage increases in relation to the position of the magnet. When the south and north poles of the magnet are exactly in between the hall effect sensor it outputs half of its Voltage which tells the controller to make the motor run at half speed. And when the north pole of the magnet is closest to the hall effect sensor it outputs full Voltage which tells the controller to make the motor run at full speed. This is what allows the speed of the motor to be variably controlled at any speed in relation to the position of the throttle.

The poles of the magnet can be determined by placing it on something that floats such as a small piece of cardboard or Popsicle stick and floating it on water in a room with the doors and windows closed and no fans on. The north pole of the magnet will point to the north and the south pole will point to the south. If you don't know which direction is north find your house on Google maps and see which side of the house is pointing up on the map.

Super glue works good for bonding metal to plastic. Another good glue to use to reattach the magnet is two-part 5 minute epoxy. If applied at room temperature it can be put to use in just 5 minutes after it is applied. If I had both glues to choose from I would use the epoxy because I feel that it is stronger and more flexible. When using either glues it is a good idea to scuff the magnet with a scouring pad or light sandpaper to help the glue stick to it.

My sons crazy cart was dead I took it and plug it into the charger and charge it now the power switch light comes on but the crazy cart does nothing. Any suggestions
Check magnetic strip inside acceleration pedal. Thats what happened to mine.
Hi Gary, If the Crazy Cart's batteries were completely dead to the point where the power switch light did not come on, and then the power switch light turned on after the batteries were recharged, then the batteries could be worn out. A good set of batteries will not drop down to a level that will not turn on the power switch light unless the cart's power switch is accidentally left on for a day or two.

I would try charging the batteries again for 5 or 6 hours and then leave the battery charger plugged into the cart and the wall at the same time, now prop the front wheel off of the ground see if the cart runs with the battery charger plugged into it. And again with the charger unplugged from the cart. If the cart only runs with the charger plugged into it then the batteries are worn out and need to be replaced.

If the cart ran before the batteries went dead then it is most likely the batteries. However if the cart did not run before the batteries went dead then it could be something else such as the accelerator pedal, fuse, switch, etc.

Here is a link to our Crazy Cart parts page: http://www.electricscooterparts.com/razor-crazy-cart-parts.html

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Login or Signup to post a comment