This forum is in read-only mode. Please continue to browse, but replies are disabled for now. Why?

Brand New to this. Motorized Wagon.

i had the idea this past weekend as i was hauling kids around in our simple garden wagon (The metal type from home depot or lowes for $99.99) - why not motarize this to help with the increasing weight!!

Can anyone help on a simple, DIY addition of an electric motor to help with this situation?   Let me know.  Thanks!

peter

We have a beach cart power kit that would be a great candidate to motorize a garden wagon. It is our item # KIT-145. Here is a link to it: 

https://cart.electricscooterparts.com/24-volt-350-watt-electric-beach-cart-power-kit-with-reverse-KIT-145

We also have dozens of other beach wagon kits available on this page: 

https://cart.electricscooterparts.com/store/Search.aspx?SearchTerms=beach+kit

This kit has a reversing controller and a reverse switch. We could make a kit without reverse which would cost around $30 less. We can also make a custom kit with different size batteries, a different style throttle, or just about any other different parts that you would like.

We can also help with selecting the wheel sprocket to obtain the top speed that you want the wagon to go. In fact if you let me know the diameter of the wagon's tire I can calculate what its top speed would be with the KIT-145 kit that I linked to above.

thank you so much for the reply.  the top speed would only need to be walking speed.  we would never be jogging or running with the wagon.  Sometimes the wagon may be loaded with some weight though - not sure if this matters?

I can also get the wheel diameter. 

Also - a few questions:

How do you attach the wheel sprocket?  

Is the motor simply bolted to the bottom of the wagon? 

Do you have any photos of this installed? 

We would also NOT need reversing. 

THANK YOU!

With the top speed being around walking speed the motor would have enough power to move heavy loads.

Attaching the wheel sprocket to a rim can be done with spacers made from steel pipe and the sprocket can be attached by welding or with bolts. Attaching the sprocket to a live axle can be done with adapters which we can provide. Here is a photo of a sprocket attached to a rim with steel pipe spacers and bolts.

Our gear motors have mounting plates on them which can be bolted to any flat surface so the motor could be bolted to the bottom of the wagon.

Here is a photo of one of our gear motors installed on a wagon.

thanks again for all of the insight. i measured our wheels at 10" diameter. i can also send some photos so we can finalize this kit that i will need. thanks again

I checked and with 10" wheels KIT-145 with its 44 tooth sprocket will provide a top speed of 2.56 miles per hour. However with a 36 tooth sprocket the top speed is 3.13 miles per hours.

Photos of the wagon are always welcome. If you click on the Insert Image button the photos will appear directly on this page instead of as an attachment.

We can modify KIT-145 to have a 36 tooth sprocket if you would like. We can also modify it to have a different throttle, larger batteries, etc.

thanks again.  i would definitely think that we would want to go with the 3.13 mph speed.  i think that is a better walking pace.  if possible, take a look at the photos below and let me know what kind of kit you can put together.  i would it to include everything needed for the entire modification.  I assume you will charge batteries with some type of trickle charger?  (do you recommend a certain spec?)

see photos below.  thanks again, 

peter

I modified KIT-145 to have a 36 tooth wheel sprocket instead of a 44 tooth wheel sprocket. The item number of this modified kit is KIT-145-B and here is the link to it: 

https://cart.electricscooterparts.com/24-volt-350-watt-electric-beach-cart-power-kit-with-reverse-KIT-145-B

Kit-145-B includes everything needed to power the wagon and includes a 24 Volt 1.6 Amp battery charger that will recharge the batteries in around 6-8 hours.

With KIT-145-B the only other electrical and drivetrain parts needed for the modification are the hardware or adapter needed to mount the sprocket onto the wheel. There is nothing commercially available for this so it would need to be custom made.

Please let us know if you would like any further modifications made to the kit, or if you have any questions.

Thanks for this. A couple of questions. 1. So the main off, on switch is mounted to the handle? 2 . How is the throttle mounted? Our handlebar is not a "t" handle bar but rather a complete oval shape. I don't think the grips you show will work with our set up. 3. We also don't need reverse. Not sure if we can save money without needing this function? Let me me know, thanks
Also. Based on our photos, do we have a "live" axle that we would need adaptors from you for the sprocket or would we be mounting to the wheel with pipe spacers and bolts as you show in the photo above?

In KIT-145-B the red push button switch on the throttle is wired as the main on/off switch. However the on/off switch could also be mounted somewhere else on the wagon in the form of a toggle switch or key switch. All of our throttles with exception of one mounts onto 7/8" OD tubing, the throttle that is an exception mounts onto 1" OD tubing. None of our throttle could be mounted onto a closed oval shaped handlebar because they need a bar end to slip over. You could bolt bicycle handlebars or a piece of 7/8" OD tubing onto the end of the existing oval handlebar in order to have a way to mount the throttle and install grips.

KIT-145-B without reverse costs $35.00 less than with reverse. I modified KIT-145-B to not have reverse and the new item number for this kit is KIT-145-C. Here is the link to it:

https://cart.electricscooterparts.com/24-volt-350-watt-electric-beach-cart-power-kit

The 24 Volt 10Ah battery pack in KIT-145-B and KIT-145-C will provide around 30 to 40 minutes of full speed run time. If you need a longer run time then I can modify the kit to have larger size batteries.

Please let me know if you need any further modifications made to the kit, or if you have any questions.

I just looked at your photos again and that wagon does not have a live axle so the sprocket would need to be mounted to the wheel.
If the motor is just spinning one wheel, will this work properly with heavy weight on the wagon? Also, can you please change to a keyed , main power switch that I would mount on the body of the wagon. I also don't need reverse. I also think that the normal run time should be fine for this set up. Thanks

One wheel drive is suitable for all paved surfaces and for relatively flat and dry unpaved surfaces. If the wagon will be used to go up unpaved hills, in wet grass, or in sand then two wheel drive would be needed. Unmodified rear wheel drive cars have one wheel drive so if the wagon has one wheel drive then it would have similar traction to a rear wheel drive car. To make the wagon two wheel drive either a solid live axle and wheels from a go kart parts store could be installed on it, or it could have two electric motors with each motor driving one of the rear wheels.

I modified the kit to not have reverse, and to have a key switch as the main power switch. The item number for this kit is KIT-145-D and here is the link to it: 

https://cart.electricscooterparts.com/24-volt-350-watt-electric-beach-cart-power-kit-KIT-145-D

Please let us know if you would like any further changes made to the kit, or if you have any questions.

Do you think it makes sense to modify the wagon to a solid live axle? Would the same sprocket be used for the live axle and just mount in the center of the axle?

Login or Signup to post a comment