1-800-908-8082

8am-5pm Pacific Time Monday-Friday
Start a new topic

Razor Ground Force Drifter Fury Modification

I am looking to modify my Razor GFD Fury. I want the most power and speed without extending the back end or drilling into the frame or welding. I also do not want to double stack the batteries or anything. I want it to go 20+ mph and to be able to go in reverse. Can you make a customized kit for me? Do all of your kits require modifying the metal frame, or just some?
The Anderson discharge plug is the 50A model, but I don't think that matters anymore because I think I am going to change things up again, possibly getting a different battery with a different discharge plug. I am thinking of getting an even smaller motor. I want a smaller motor so that I can fit a bigger battery on my go-kart. Currently, a 15Ah LiFePo4 battery and the 1000W motor in my kit fit snuggly in the back. I am afraid that that setup will not give me traits that I want. Could you figure out what setup would be best for me? I know I should have asked you this in the very beginning. I am thinking of a 36V 850W 20Ah setup. Sorry, I have very little experience with electric motors and do not know how powerful a 1000W motor would be. Here is a list of the traits that I want, in order, the first being the most wanted: 1. I want to easily be able to easily do burnouts and make smoke with the new solid rubber rear tires, both spinning around in circles and "gunning" it off the line. 2. I want to be able to run my go-kart for at least two hours. The more run-time, the better. 3. I want to have a top speed of ~25 MPH. This will mean that I will be getting bigger tires to aquire this new top speed, thus diluting the motor's power. Thank you very much again and I hope you are enjoying your spring (I assume you are close by because the shipping is so cheap).

None of the motors that will fit on the Ground Force are powerful enough to do burnouts with rubber tires. Due to the weight of the batteries, it would be difficult and expensive to design an electric vehicle that does burnouts. Maybe one designed for a quarter mile drag race could since its battery pack could be small and lightweight. 

A two-hour runtime is significant for an electric vehicle. If a 48 Volt 1000 Watt motor was used then a 48 Volt 35Ah battery pack would be needed to obtain that amount of ride time on flat terrain. For a 24 Volt 500 Watt motor a 24 Volt 35Ah battery pack should do the job. 

With the proper gearing, a top speed of 25 MPH is no problem for a 750 Watt or larger motor.

Are you completely sure about what you said about doing burnouts? There is no differential on the GFD Fury, therefore when you do tight turns, it should be fairly easy to initiate a burnout because the wheels will already naturally slip, and I am not going to be getting normal sized replacement rubber go-kart rear tires, I am (hoping) to get small ones that fit the smallness of the GFD Fury. They will also (hopefully) be slick. I am also buying a super light LiFePo4 battery, not lead acid, so that brings down the weight a lot, and I weigh only ~90 lbs. too. Please explain more.

I don't think you would be able to do a burnout but maybe I am wrong. You would just have to give it a try and see what happens. 

Okay, sounds good. I forgot to add that the GFD Fury also has a very tight turning radius, unlike its lesser cousin, the Ground Force, and I have seen a mod on the internet of near the same type as mine, a 60V overvolt to a 36V 1000W Currie motor, easily make an "off the line" type burnout with a Ground Force with 5 lead acids and a 200 lb. adult riding. I am thinking of doing a 36V 1000W 20Ah setup. Do you think that that setup would meet my power demand? Approximately how much runtime would I get? I am willing to have a top speed of ~20 MPH instead, it's just that ~25 would be the best.

I am thinking of installing some sort of "suspension" for the seat so that riding is not so bumpy. I am thinking of putting springs around the four screws that hold the seat down, loosening them, and maybe getting longer screws so that there is more suspension travel. I also want to raise the seat up ~5 inches so that I have more leg room. Do you have any good ideas? The stock controller had a spring on its mounting plate connecting it to the chassis. Do I need to have anything that absorbs shocks for any of the new electronics so that they don't get damaged?

~5 inches --> ~2 inches

The new electronics will not need springs to absorb shocks and can be installed directly onto the go-kart. a 36V 1000W 20Ah setup will provide around 1 hour of ride-time. 

Okay, thanks. I know that my questions seem to be never-ending and are probably very annoying but they will end, and soon. I am just figuring out the last few things before I start buying stuff. So, will a 1000W motor meet my power demand? Will any smaller motors also meet my power demand? And, do you have any other good ideas for some seat suspension?

You are welcome to ask as many questions as you need to because this is a question and answer forum. 

We can not say whether a 1000W motor, or any other motor, will meet your power demand because your power demand is not a data parameter which we can calculate. We can calculate how fast a motor can be safely geared for use on flat ground or on a certain degree of incline with a certain amount of combined rider and vehicle weight. However, that is the limitations of the formulas we have for calculating motors into the design of a go-kart. 

Since our controllers and throttles provide infinitely variable 0-100% speed control of the motor there is no harm in installing the largest motor available since you will never have to use all of its power if you choose not to. By installing the largest motor then you will know that the go-kart has the most amount of power that it can and will eliminate the possibility of wishing you had installed a larger motor after the project is finished. 

We have not thought about seat suspension before so this is a brand new subject for us. Most vehicles use foam padding on top of the seat base as a suspension system which works very well. As far as suspending the seat base above the frame we do not know of any products to specifically recommend for that. Maybe bicycle seat springs could retrofitted onto the go-kart since they are designed for the weight of a person and should have the right spring rating.

Okay, then I think I will go back to my previous 48V 1600W setup, just without the batteries, charger, etc. How much runtime would I get out of a 48V 20Ah 1600W setup? Could I add a switch or something that could put my go-kart in "eco" or "training" mode where it would conserve battery life by only supplying up to 500W to the motor? Would that be bad for the brushless motor? How much slower would it go? Thanks.

Sorry, never mind, stay with the 36V 1000W, although please change the motor to one of MOT-SD361000FW and throw out the old sprocket I had for my previous motor. I promise you this is my last kit change because I am super happy with this setup now. How much more powerful is this neodymium magnet motor over the other regular magnet motor? Again, is there any way, for this motor now, if I could put my go-kart in "eco" mode where it only supplies up to 500W of power to the motor? Would that be bad for any of the electronics? How much slower would it be? Thanks and reply quickly please.

Oh, and don't make the battery to controller adapter yet because I might switch out the battery with another that might have a different discharge plug. I also need to figure out how long I want the adapter to be because I am contemplating whether I should mount the battery in the front or the back with the motor. How much will the adapter cost?

Login or Signup to post a comment